Author Topic: PRISON  (Read 4086 times)

Online daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
PRISON
« on: Tuesday 12 February 13 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Whilst searching for any connections to my great-grandmother Sarah Kelly born 1853 in Queens, I came across a Sarah Kelly in prison in 1853, it states 'other' rather than a birth date. There are many many Sarah Kelly's with a father named Michael and as I don't know her mother's name I've been unable to pin down exactly which Sarah she is.  Could anyone throw any light on what this incident in prison was in 1853? :)
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: PRISON
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Where did your Sarah end up ?

To start a search with a common surname like Kelly you usually require a more detailed place of birth than just the county, ideally the town, townland or parish.

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 17:23 GMT (UK) »
based on your older posts it looks like maybe this Sarah ended up in Manchester ?

Dont know if you've already tried this, but the best place to try and find a more detailed place of birth is with the English census returns. The later ones often give more detail, particularly the 1911 returns.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Online daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 17:35 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage certificate for Sarah marrying William Mather on 6/6/1873 in Manchester, this is where I obtained the information that her father was Michael Kelly 'bricklayer' but it only states born in Queens Co and no other information.  I also know she was living in Hulme, Manchester at the time of her marriage.
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Is this the prison record you mentioned ?

Sarah Kelly prisoner  Queen's Co 1853

I dont think the age or place of birth were noted in this entry, but the year for the event  is given as 1853 - so doesn't seem like it could be your Sarah.

I have a marriage certificate for Sarah marrying William Mather on 6/6/1873 in Manchester, this is where I obtained the information that her father was Michael Kelly 'bricklayer' but it only states born in Queens Co and no other information.

Unfortunately if your Kellys were RC then Michael's occupation will not help as this detail is not included in parish baptism records. A very long shot - but it might possibly be of some use if Sarah had younger siblings that you know of - i.e. born 1864 or later, as father's occupation is included in civil records.

Did you find Sarah on the 1901 and 1911 returns ?
My Surname Interests