Author Topic: Snowball family in New York 1850  (Read 2861 times)

Offline ssnowball

• RootsChat Extra
  • John Snowball my 2X great grandfather b.1822
    • View Profile
Snowball family in New York 1850
« on: Thursday 14 February 13 15:26 GMT (UK) »
My g.g.grandfather, John Snowball, a carpenter journeyman, was summoned to Newcastle-upon-Tyne's Bankruptcy Court on two occasions. By the second hearing, held on 15th October 1850 he was already on board a ship, the 'Lord London' bound to New York, which duly arrived on 1st October! The plot thickens.

The 'Lord London' passenger lists show John, his wife and two children but where John has taken his brother's name, George Snowball and the others in his party were similarly all under different names (his son, John Thomas is shown as Thomas, his daughter Eleanor Mary is recorded as Mary and his wife, Sarah, assumes his brother's wife's name, Jane). They stayed in the USA until 1857, thus falling between the 1850 and 1860 censuses.

However, I have reason to believe they came to live and work in Buffalo, NY State and certainly two further children were born in the USA. The first Hannah Augusta Snowball in 1853, followed by George Laidler Snowball in 1854. Upon Hannah's death in 1899, her husband Joseph Marshall and their three children visited the US and headed to Buffalo. It could well have been a visit to Hannah's birthplace.

Is there any way of establishing Buffalo as the place of Hannah Snowball or George Laidler Snowball's birth? My understanding is that birth records as early as 1853 are either not available or never kept. The 1855 Census of New York State, recently made available on the familysearch site, in theory should have them all but also draws a blank. G.G.Grandfather John appears to be pretty good at deception, so another set of names would'nt be impossible!  They were all Wesleyan, so I'm wondering if there's such a way of tracking through this connection?

Any help or suggestions gladly welcomed. Thanks.  :)

Steve
Names: Snowball
Areas: Northumberland.
          Co.Durham

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Snowball family in New York 1850
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 February 13 15:47 GMT (UK) »
There are some Buffalo city directories online here:  http://www.buffaloresearch.com/onlinedirectories.html  I looked at a few from the 1850's, and didn't find any Snowballs.

Offline ssnowball

• RootsChat Extra
  • John Snowball my 2X great grandfather b.1822
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 February 13 16:54 GMT (UK) »
There are some Buffalo city directories online here:  http://www.buffaloresearch.com/onlinedirectories.html  I looked at a few from the 1850's, and didn't find any Snowballs.

Thanks for the fast response. I've had a look also and there's no Snowballs under names/streets. That would be far too easy! :)
Of course, the trip to Buffalo by the children (in 1899, after their mother, Hannah's death) might just be a 'red herring' that I've brought upon myself! There's no evidence, yet, to say if Hannah was born in Buffalo but the Snowballs certainly got to New York State in 1850 and stayed until 1857, the date of their next child's birth back in England but the question remains where?
Names: Snowball
Areas: Northumberland.
          Co.Durham

Offline Qu1ckn1ck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 May 17 12:07 BST (UK) »
John Snowball was also my Great-great grandfather.  His daughter Hannah Augusta Snowball was my Great- grandmother.  I am interested in Hannah's place of birth as family legend had it that "she was American" and died young "of a brain tumour", both of which are questionable.
I would be most interested if the OP or anyone else has further information on Hannah Augusta Snowball or her close relatives.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 May 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Qu1ckn1ck.

Steve (ssnowball) hasnt been on here since 2014
If he still has the same email he should be notified of your posting on here.

I did look at all Census and yes Hannah Augusta was born in New York.
You would need her Death Cert to establish her cause of death.

MARSHALL, HANNAH  AUGUSTA, age 44****
GRO Reference: 1899  M Quarter in HACKNEY  Volume 01B  Page 323

I can tell you a little more further back.

Her Mother;
Sarah LAIDLER Christened 8 February 1824, Whickham, Durham
(Birth 20 Nov 1823)
Parents JOHN/ELEANOR
Sibling same Church;
JOSEPH Christened 15 Aug 1821 (birth 16 July 1821)

1861 Census
Whickham, Durham
John Laidler, 71, Head, Mar, Coachman, born Stamfordham, Northumberland
Eleanor Laidler, 71, Wife, Mar, born Prudhoe, Northumberland
Joseph Laidler, 39, Son, Unm, Sadler, born Whickham, Durham**
Elizabeth Walton, 16, Servant

1851 Census
Whickham, Durham
John Laidler, 60, Coachman
Eleaner Laidler, 61
Joseph Laidler, 29, Saddler
George Laidler, 16, Son, Draper, born Whickham, Durham

You are not going to believe this but I found the Family in 1841 on Familysearch.Org;
John Laidler, M   50-54   
Eleanor Laidler, F 50-54   
Sarah Laidler, F   15-19 Durham
Hannah Laidler,   F 20-24   Durham
Joseph Laidler, M 15-19   Durham
George Laidler, M 5   Durham

Anc has them as QUIDLEY ::) ::)

1841 Census
Whickham, Durham
John Quidley, 50, Farm Lab, not born in County
Eleanor Quidley, 50, not born in County
SARAH Quidley, 15*******
Hannah Quidley, 20
Joseph Quidley, 15, Apprentice Sadler
George Quidley, 5

Aaah interesting;

Marriage;
14 May 1844, Whickham, Durham
Hannah LAIDLER to James SNOWBALL
Both age 25

Looks like Siblings married Siblings to me :)

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 May 17 17:04 BST (UK) »
Well not what I expected.
Someone may have Hannah Augusta Marshalls Death Cert;

Info from Tree;
Death 21 Jan 1899
Cause Chronic Cirrhosis of the Liver due to Alcoholism

JAMES/JOHN Snowball were Brothers;
Christened Wesleyan, Hexham, Northumberland
JAMES 22 Nov 1818 (birth 21 Sept 1818)
JOHN 24 April 1822
Parents GEORGE/MARY

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Qu1ckn1ck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 May 17 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that information Trish.  I have just managed to contact the OP through FaceBook.  I am still waiting for a Death Certificate for Hannah Marshall, nee Snowball, nearly three weeks after I ordered it from GRO.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 May 17 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
You are very welcome and I am glad I could help.

I cant help myself and must ask if you can let me know what it does have for her cause of death.
I got fond of her when researching the Family :)

Offline Qu1ckn1ck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 May 17 15:16 BST (UK) »
I have been waiting nearly three weeks for Hannah's death certificate but I am reasonably certain that it will state "Cause Chronic Cirrhosis of the Liver due to Alcoholism" for her early death at 46.  Her youngest daughter, aged 12 at the time, insisted that her mother died of a brain tumour.  The picture is of Hannah Augusta Marshall, nee Snowball, my great-grandmother.