Author Topic: Snowball family in New York 1850  (Read 2816 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Snowball family in New York 1850
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 11:19 BST (UK) »
She is a incredibly beautiful Woman.
I had looked at a photo of her on a Tree.
What a sad ending to her life.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Qu1ckn1ck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 15:58 BST (UK) »
I am very pleased that spotting an old post on RootsChat has enabled me to make contact with someone who has an absolute wealth of information to share on my great-grandmother Hannah Snowball and her family. 

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
She is a incredibly beautiful Woman.
I had looked at a photo of her on a Tree.
What a sad ending to her life.

She looks just like Florence Maybrick.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline snowybeatle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I am very pleased that spotting an old post on RootsChat has enabled me to make contact with someone who has an absolute wealth of information to share on my great-grandmother Hannah Snowball and her family.

I haven't been on this site for a while but...for those of you who have been searching for further information on Hannah August Snowball, here's what I have...
Hannah Augusta Snowball, was the second daughter of John and Sarah Snowball.
She was born in New York in 1853, as her parents, had emigrated to the United States in 1850. Despite census return entries made, which identify Hannah in 1861, as living at 152 Waterloo Road, Lambeth and in 1871 at 2, Salisbury Terrace, also in Lambeth, nothing is known of her childhood yearsin the USA.

Hannah married Joseph Marshall in September 1882 in Hampstead. Joseph Marshall was a fruiterer and at some stage after their marriage, they moved to 8 St. Andrew’s Pavement, a mews off of Dunsmure Road, Stamford Hill in North Hackney.
In September 1883, their first child Sarah  Hannah S  Marshall was born in Shepherd’s Bush (Fulham 1a/246), followed by
Mabel Marshall in March 1885 (Fulham 1a/213) and Gertrude Eileen Marshall in June 1887 (Wandsworth 1d/55[38).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             The 1891 Census finds the family living at Kilburn Rd, Willesden. Joseph is a dairyman. The 1901 Census shows Joseph as a decorator.

Hannah Augusta Marshall died on 21st January 1899, aged 44 years. Her death certificate reveals that she died of chronic cirrhosis of the liver due to alcoholism. She died at home after being in a coma for 16 hours. She was interred at the Snowball family grave in Willesden Lane, Paddington (Section 2R, Grave No. 4270)
In the 1901 Census, Joseph Marshall and his three daughters are found living at 2 Howard Road, Willesden, next door to his wife’s brother James Harrison Snowball and his wife and son. Joseph is now a decorator.
Upon Hannah's death in 1899, her husband Joseph Marshall and their three children briefly visited the US and headed to Buffalo. It could well have been a visit to Hannah's birthplace. Joseph Marshall, Hannah's husband and daughter, Sarah, travelled to Australia, on board the Norddeutscher Lloyd liner Gneisenau. He ultimately died in Gipps Ward, Melbourne Hospital on 5 June 1922 and was buried at Brighton General Cemetery, Caulfield South, Melbourne, Victoria on 7 June 1922.

I have attached a couple of photos of Hannah Augusta.

Snowball, Laidler, Smart, Timms, Lawrence

Offline Qu1ckn1ck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the update on Hannah Augusta Snowball's family.  If I can make one small correction, the third daughter (my grandmother) was Gertrude Maud Marshall born 25 August 1886 in Wood Green.  She married Reginald Steggles Kinsey whilst under full age and without parental assent.  There were two other marriages between members of the Snowball and Kinsey families.  The original of the head and shoulders portrait now belongs to my sister and the full length portrait was inherited by my cousin.  The attached is a photo of Hannah Augusta's youngest daughter, Gertrude Maud Kinsey, with the three eldest of her six children

Offline snowybeatle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 November 21 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info. I have this photo already but glad you also have it.

Hannah's father, John Snowball (1822-1901) and my great, great grandfather, was ordered to appear at Newcastle-upon-Tyne's Court of Bankruptcy on 13th September 1850 and again on 15th October. He never appeared. Instead, he was already in New York, having sailed on board the 'Lord of London' but under false identities. Immigration records show his daughter, Eleanor Mary aged 3, recorded as Mary. His son John Thomas was recorded as George and his wife Sarah, as Jane. John Snowball took his brother's name, George. John Snowball was a skilled carpenter, so probably found employment, especially at the time of New York's extensive building program. Hannah was born 4 years after the family's arrival in 1854.
The entire family returned to England in 1857. Sarah died in1882 of 'diabetic complications' and John re-married Alice Sophia Kinsey in 1891. You probably know the rest!

Steve
Snowball, Laidler, Smart, Timms, Lawrence

Offline Qu1ckn1ck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 November 21 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Steve. 

I guess in those days bankruptcy could lead to imprisonment for debt so escaping to America rather than face court probably made sense.

Many thanks for supplying a wealth of information on the Snowballs over the past 4 years which has corrected a few family fables for me.

Nick