Author Topic: Wharfedale races and Henry Atkinson innkeeper of Red Lion Burley-in-Wharfedale  (Read 3172 times)

Offline starbeck lass

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Atkinson is on census 1871 aged 25, 81 aged 35 and 1891 aged 43, as a publican of the Red Lion Burley in Wharfedale. Is there any way to find out more about the pub during this period, for example who else worked there?  a while ago I found on the burleycensus.net /photos site, an advertising flier for the Wharfedale Races, Tuesday October 19th, infuriatingly with no year given! It has a list of the handicaps, one of which is the Innkeepers Plate which has H. Atkinson h. m. Ciara 4 years white, Pink. (The burleycensus site seems to have closed now, thank goodness I printed off the photo!)
Any info about the Henry, the pub or the races gratefully received, thanks

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Wharfedale races and Henry Atkinson innkeeper of Red Lion Burley-in-Wharfedale
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 February 13 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome

The 1871 shows his mother as the licensed innkeeper and Henry as a brewer and the image shows one servant

In 1881 he is the innkeeper and there are 2 female servants

In 1891 just a domestic housekeeper

The people named as servants would probably have lived on the premises

There may possibly have been other staff who did not "live in" but you would not find records after all this time - even if any existed at that time

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wharfedale races and Henry Atkinson innkeeper of Red Lion Burley-in-Wharfedale
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 February 13 08:11 GMT (UK) »
A very warm welcome to Rootschat.
Spotted this in the Leeds Mercury, Sat 15 Aug, 1863 -
"Deaths - Brumfitt - Aug 11th, aged 83, Mr George Brumfitt, farmer, late carrier, Addingham, and father to Mrs Atkinson, Red Lion Inn, Burley, Wharfedale"

1861 Census - RG09  3213  4  1  James Atkinson, 55, Innkeeper and Elizabeth Atkinson 50, at the Red Lion
1851 Census  HO107  2284  291  09   Elizabeth Brumfit, 57, Publican, The Red Lion. A servant at the pub is a Jonathon Atkinson, 20, Brewer

Offline starbeck lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 February 13 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to both for the welcome and the help. I was hoping there might have been some sort of pub history I could tap into as I know there is for some areas like Horsforth. Is it worth trying to track down the brewery - would they have records (not just of its staff but general info) or is this too long a shot?
I can't tie in Jonathon At. to my lot - they came from Addingham but I've made a note of him as you never know! George B. was Henry's father - how do you get into the Leeds Mercury pages as it may be useful to know?
Thanks again to both of you

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 February 13 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Check out     http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Also, depending on your location, check out library/local archive facilities.

Offline starbeck lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 February 13 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the website link, I shall pay a visit to burley and check out the library.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 February 13 23:19 GMT (UK) »
I have just had a look at the warfegen.org.uk website for info on your Henry.
Found personal info but other than birth/death and mi info nothing on the Red Lion inn.

Birth recorded 5th Dec 1845 Addingham son of James and Elizabeth Brumfitt, christened 9th Oct 1860 St Peter's Church Addingham. Buried 5th April 1924 St Peter's Church Addingham.
Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline starbeck lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 February 13 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Brian,
Just looked at Wharfedale & Craven Gen site (which is great) and got diverted by the Ilkley More Forum and thought I’d found something on the Wharfedale Races under the post “Horse for Courses” – turned out to be about the horsemeat scandal – got brought back to present day far too quickly! Grace

Offline Clever clogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 February 13 17:26 GMT (UK) »
If you want to know a bit more about Henry's tenancy at the pub, you could look at the Quarter Sessions records, as he would have had to renew his licence annually. I believe these are in Wakefield.

Also look at trade directories.

Henry's mother left a will when she died in 1875 -might be worth obtaining to see if he was left anything by her.

As for the local history of the village, have a look at this site -there are some maps and photos of the village which might be of interest. The local history group may have more information.

http://www.burley-in-wharfedale.org/history/00Intro/summary.html

Regards

Ellen