Author Topic: Barracks at Crossbush near Arundel  (Read 3775 times)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barracks at Crossbush near Arundel
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 January 18 19:39 GMT (UK) »
I've been advised that if you contact the museum and explain what you are trying to discover your request will be passed to the curatorial team who may be able to help you or contact one of the volunteers who may know.

If you post again I can the send you a personal message with the email address to use - you have to make three posts to be able to send/receive personal messages.   ;)

Offline Hadrada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help. A contact for the museum would be most useful. Cheers.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 19:50 GMT (UK) »
I've sent you a personal message with various bits and pieces of information.

Offline Hadrada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for the info. The Littlehapton battery history 1800-1817 is particularly interesting. Capt. Lefroy appears to be in Littlehapton at this time, and could have been involved with the battery and its garrisoning and the setting up a permanent camp. The barracks closure in 1817 corresponds to the time he became master at Arundel. Will let you know when I have heard from the museum.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Kind of ties in quite nicely doesn't it though coincidences need to be watched.

I think the Castle is also something to follow up too especially as the Duke of Norfolk owned both the land for the battery and the barracks.

Offline stuarteve

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 00:09 BST (UK) »
This is really interesting - where did you find the 1813 map? We are searching for an old house named Canonbernes - that may be related to them

Offline Hadrada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm not quite sure how your research links with my interest in Lefroy, Littlehampton and Arundel Barracks.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi stuarteve, welcome to RootsChat.

The 1813 map was given to me as a present because of my interest in old maps and was obtained from Cassini Maps : http://www.cassinimaps.co.uk/shop/mapmaker3.asp  The map was centred around Littlehampton but went as far north as about two miles north of Crossbush/Arundel.

The map was originally at a scale of 1:63360 or 1 inch to 1 mile and was enlarged to approx. 1:40000.

I couldn't find a reference to Canonbernes or Canon-Berenes but as the map only notes large estates and large farms that's perhaps not unexpected.

I researched Canonberners and found several references to the place and the occupants Eustaces including one referring to the place being associated with the Crossbush barracks.  The earliest large map in 1:2500 is 1876 Ordnance Survey but by then the barracks had long gone - demolished in 1832.  I also found a probate record for 1933 for a Eustace so it was still there then but 1:2500 maps of 1915 don't show it and the next large scale one is in the 1970s which again doesn't show it.

I note that in the probate the address Crossbush is listed before Lyminster (Leominster on the old maps) and I did wonder if in fact it was there but that would tend to question the connection with the barracks.  I had a look on the 1876 map but few properties are named in Lyminster.

Another good old maps site is Old Maps at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/ - you can scroll across the maps which isn't straightforward on Cassini.  In the past I've bought A3 size maps from both downloaded in pdf format to then print off via a graphics programme as I don't have an A3 printer.  The resolution is excellent and in a graphics programme you can zoom in by several 100% so that might help.

Do you have any information that might help locate it better?

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 March 18 17:22 BST (UK) »
Looking at my map I noticed that the barracks at Littlehampton was indicated as well as those at Crossbush.

Attached is a photo of the relevant part of the map with the barracks highlighted.