Author Topic: Full address on ER's? Completed Thanks  (Read 642 times)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Full address on ER's? Completed Thanks
« on: Friday 15 February 13 06:01 GMT (UK) »
Anyone know what year a person's full address was noted on NSW Electoral Rolls rather than just the suburb?

Thanks

Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Full address on ER's?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 February 13 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Well, depending on where, depends on the year.   For example, some Sydney (city thereof) addresses have street number, house name AND everything in the 1870s, BUT on other hand, some rural electorates only have the township even in the mid 1940s.

My late father's electoral roll entry for 1935 has ONLY the township, no street nominated for any at the polling place. 

My (very) late great great great grandfather's electoral roll entry for EAST SYDNEY electorate has the street number, street, in 1870.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Full address on ER's?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 February 13 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks JM - I didn't realise that it would depend on the area.

Kinda hoping that there may have been a uniform changeover date.
Oh well, saves me looking any further for a specific address on non city ER's in 1865.

I'll try a different approach.

Appreciate your help and information.

Thanks

Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Full address on ER's? Completed Thanks
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 February 13 10:59 GMT (UK) »
 ::)  This from a rural township in central west NSW the 1950s for my late uncle ....

The Elector's full surname, and three given names, then his address "The Cricket Ground" and then occupation "civil servant".   Also at that same address were his wife, and both her parents.  Her Dad was the curator!   

I should also add that my late uncle was also the Chief Polling Clerk and Returning Officer in the 1950s.  I presume he, his wife and her parents were easily identified by the polling clerks at each election.  Afterall, in those days the polling clerks were usually the local civil servants .... Postal clerks, etc for Commonwealth elections or school teachers for State elections.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.