Author Topic: James Willard MacDONALD, New Brunswick- completed  (Read 6935 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
James Willard MacDONALD, New Brunswick- completed
« on: Sunday 17 February 13 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Am trying to track down details of James Willard MacDonald born 3 Aug.1922 N.B. and died 4 Nov.1947 when his plane crashed at Mayoughill, Co. Londonderry, Ireland.

The following record gives his parents as James & Laura MacDonald of Newcastle, New Brunswick and lists a sister as well as various half-siblings. (sister was alive in 2002 when she and husband made trip to Ireland to visit his grave so I won't post details here).
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/collections/virtualmem/detail/2640005

I've looked through various PANB databases without finding anything except a possible death for the father James in 1939- wife 'Mrs. Laura O'Rourke':
http://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/141C5.aspx?culture=en-CA&guid=a1474618-abc4-46ac-80d6-0a4612c10c77

Sounded promising so far. Then found a family tree on Ancestry which listed James & Laura with daughter & son James Willard as well as James' 1st wife Maude Ramsey and their children. Note: James shown as died 1940 and James Willard in 1946 (each a year off). However, 3 sons from 1st marriage don't have same names as those listed in 1st link I posted (not even close really).

So, searched for that family tree on Mundia to see if I could contact owner and... can't seem to find that particular tree but I got one for James MacDonald and wife Maude Ramsey with 3 sons which does not show a marriage to Laura or James Willard and his sister.

Ideally I would like to get a photo of James Willard MacDonald (family members are bound to have one) but can anyone help sort out this family?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Willard MacDONALD, New Brunswick
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 February 13 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.

You might be able to get a picture from his military file, although there is no guarantee, of course. The military file is apparently available to the public and can be ordered through this link ... see how to order a file near the top.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/war-dead/001056-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=44076&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=3r09185r3hb16ck8oh02991ic2

With the names you have, you might be able to trace descendents of the siblings in New Brunswick (I would start with NB and hope the family stayed relatively close to home) through this link to the telephone white pages ...

http://www.canada411.ca/

The New Castle public library might be of some help with obits or other info about the family.

Unfortunately, in the time frame you are looking at, you are going to be hindered by privacy laws so roundabout ways of gleaning info need to be utilized.

Hope this helps.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 February 13 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Some information that hopefully may make your search a bit easier.
Newcastle and Chatham and surrounding area amalgamated several years ago into the city of Miramichi. Newcastle is on one side of the river and Chatham on the other. Miramichi cemetery is on the Newcastle side of the river. There are 3 libraries in the area so do a search for the one in Newcastle.
I came up with much the same info as aghadowey. I can't seem to connect the 2 sets of family members. I am starting to think this family may be more blended that just a second marriage between James and Laura. Perhaps 2 children are from that union and the children mentioned in the write up are children of Laura and not James at all. James (the father) died several years before his son James Willard and perhaps there was no contact or little contact between the first 3 sons that were born to James and Maud and the second set of siblings. James and Maud first child was born in 1897 and James Willard was born in 1922.

At the Provincial Archives of NB, you will find the death in 1920 of Maud MacDonald and it states that she is buried in Miramichi cemetery. The archives also have the delayed birth registrations for Walter James in 1897, Wesley Edan in 1898, 2nd marriage of Walter James in 1942 to Mary Georgina Duguay and marriage of Bernard in 1922 to Annie Edmonds.

http://automatedgenealogy.com
has the family under McDonald for both 1901 and 1911 in New Brunswick/Newcastle

A site that may be helpful in the Miramichi is
New Brunswick Genealogical Society, Miramichi Branch
www.nbgsmiramichi.org

The death of James Willard states that he was a stewart on HMCS Warrier.
The home port of that ship would have been Halifax, Nova Scotia and James Willard MacDonald is remembered on Panel 6 at the Halifax Memorial.
There are a few museums in the Halifax area that may be able to put you in the right direction.
Shearwater AviationMuseum
www.shearwateraviationmuseum.ns.ca
Halifax library
www.halifaxpubliclibraries.ca

www.halifax.ca/archives/index.html

www.canada411.ca
does have one listing for a Corbett on North Black River Rd, Miramichi

I would contact the public libraries and ask for a newspaper look up for the time frame of James Willards death as I am sure there will be a write up of some type in a newspaper in either Halifax or Newcastle/Chatham

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 February 13 23:22 GMT (UK) »
just in case this information proves useful in the future

www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/index-e.html

attestation papers for
Walter James MacDonald
Regimental # 793240

Edon Wesley MacDonald
Regimental # 335873

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 February 13 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to both of you for taking the time to search and post all those details. Now have some new resources to explore although unfortunately there is now a limited amount of time for this project to be completed. A local contact is checking into 2002 contact details for James Willard MacDonald's sister (which may not have survived) but I'm wondering if a local newspaper might be able to help with printing a query which relatives might see.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 February 13 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.

I think a query in a local newspaper is a great idea. Can't give you any names but a google should hopefully turn up one or two. If nothing turns up under Miramichi, then try the 2 seperate original communities.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 February 13 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks  :)

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 February 13 01:01 GMT (UK) »
www.canadaeast.com

www.canadaeast.com/onsite.php?page=contact

www.miramichionline.com

hope the sites work

If you know the married name or any other info on the sister, PM me and I will see if I can find anything.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 February 13 07:06 GMT (UK) »
http://archives.gnb.ca/Search/RS141C6/Results.aspx?culture=en-CA
Since PANB holds a film that records the death registraiton of James Willard I wonder if they would look up the parents details for you.  I know the website states they can't do extensive research for people but you are asking for a very specific item from their microfilm.  It's worth a shot and should show his mother's maiden name.