Author Topic: Blunt and Cartwright Family  (Read 19357 times)

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blunt and Cartwright Family
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 October 15 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My interest is definitely in the same family. My grandfather was Davenport Fabian Cartwright Blunt, son of Henry Blunt and Agnes Cartwright of Northampton. DFC married Edith Isobel Harris (related to Harris122 who started this topic?).

These Blunts, Cartwrights, Harrises and other families that the Harrises married into (Tarbets, Safferys, Todds, Websters & Provands were all members of the Catholic Apostolic Church (Irvingite); earlier generations were plainly also non-conformists. (The Wallers and Wathens were very close to Wesley). I am particularly interested in religious connections like this which could help explain connections and moves.

For example, I suspect that the family move to Shrewsbury may have been for religious reasons (there was a big non-conformist church there), but I don't have anything definite on this. There was definitely a Catholic Apostolic Church in Bedford where Henry Blunt and Agnes Cartwright settled.

I think I have all the census and most of the BDM information mentioned here. I have Blunts going back to a Richard Blunt (1620-1690), although with a couple of links that I am unsure of. I don't have a wife for this Richard or his grandson, also Richard (1669-1768). I can see people including Claire here saying that Robert (died 1773 buried St George the Martyr) was a clerk at the Bank of England, but I can't find anything to substantiate that this was the same person. I would be interested in information like this. I have him born in Petersfield, but probably just by copying someone else; I don't really have evidence for it. Robert's wife Mary Burbridge was also a widow at their wedding in Jan 1764. I haven't managed to find anything about her maiden name, family or first husband. (Two witnesses were called John and Ann Reynolds, or Reynotes but this hasn't helped me yet. Nor has the statement that the marriage licence was provided by the bishop of Winton, an old name for Winchester?)

I also lose track of other families on the female side fairly soon - the Allens, the Wallers and the Cartwrights, most particularly Agnes Cartrwright's mother, probably Mary Ann Clark. I am still investigating a few things about the Wallers and Wathens that look a little odd.

Any pointers on any of this would be very welcome. In return, I have lots of information on Blunt and related cousins. My most complete records are on a private Ancestry tree, which I will happily allow serious collaborators access to, and quite a bit of the information has already been transcribed to FamilySearch.

As to Mary Phipps:

1. I agree that the name on here marriage certificate probably looks slightly more like Marcham than Marlham. It could even be Markham, but that's less likely.

2. Thanks for the transcription of her children's baptism records. I can see baptism records too, but they are different. From Ancestry's non-conformist parochial records I have "Anna Phipps, daughter of Thomas and Mary Blunt of the parish of St George Southwark, born March 31st. 1806. & baptised May 11th. 1806 by me James Knight." For some of the others in the family, I can find two separate records, one contemporaneous and one added later by the Wathens to the registry set up by the Wesleyans, but not for these children. Could you point me to where to find what you have?

3. I still can't find reasonable candidates for her first husband, their marriage or his death, whichever variation of the name I use. I can see Mary Phipps m Joseph Salmon, Hackney 1795, but the names are too far apart, her signature very different and no witnesses that I recognise. Then there is a George Marlow (more promising, but still difficult to reconcile with the marriage cert) who married a Mary Phipps in Lambeth in Feb 1787 when Mary would have been 16. The handwriting there is closer, but there are still no witnesses that I recognise and no statement that the bride was a minor. I also can't see his death.

4. Does anyone have details of Mary's death? I can't find them either.

Please don't hesitate to contact if you think I can help any of you with anything.

Best wishes

Alan Watson

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 October 15 07:20 BST (UK) »
St George the Martyr Southwark  parents:   Robert Blunt, Mary Blunt

William Blunt  born 7th inst.  Baptism Date: 18 Nov 1764
Robert Blunt  born Mar. 19 1766   Baptism Date:  23 Mar 1766
Mary Blunt   born July 7th 1768    Baptism Date 7th Aug 1768
Sarah Blunt  b. Sept. 20th 1769    Baptism Date: 8 Oct 1769
Thomas Blunt b. Aug. 29th   Baptism Date: 22 Sep 1772

Mary lived at Red Cross Street until her death May 16th 1811 after which son Wm still lived there

I hadn't found Mary Burbidge's first marriage either...I have the will of Robert Blunt, "of the Bank of England" and  executors are a William Harffy??   I had thought it was Scarffy until I found his mention in a will) a Richard Blunt ( broker or brother?) of Little Britain London ....Children are called just that I think, but
he appears to later say his wife is the daughter of William ( Scarffy/ Harffy) and also mentions Richard once again & a Thomas Blunt of ( Abbotsford ?) Hants & heirs

Were you able to read this will? The man did not have the best handwriting in the world. Happy to send it to you if you don't have it.

...The same year Robert died...he's mentioned in this will....
Mary Harffy, ( Harfly) wife of William Harffy, of St. Peter the Great, Chichester, gent
Bequeaths to her daughter, Mary Harffy, all her personal estate
Bequeaths to her said husband all her property in Iping and Stedham, her house and premises in Liphook, and property as in ( code refers here to marriage agreement)  for life, then to her said daughter and her heirs, in default of which to her brother-in-law, Robert Blunt, of Southwark, co. Surrey

I found an Edward BURBIDGE of  St George’s Southwark who died Apri 1761 aged 41. I have his will as well, his wife was Mary...His brother lived Redcross street, Mint, Southwark the same time as Mary lived there as widow mary Blunt. all spec as have not yet found a marriage.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 October 15 15:55 BST (UK) »
Great work on Mary Burbidge.

Using that name I found the licence for Robert's marriage to her and her first husband's will. Still can't find his burial record - Ancestry's search tool is useless.

Her parents? Mary Harffy D 1771 and husband Dr William (1717-1795) are on find a grave, buried in Chichester.

I eventually found her burial record, but only by ploughing through loads of them as Ancestry once again failed to show it, even with all the search terms entered exactly. I see Red Cross St there, but I haven’t yet found the source showing William there.

The corroboration makes Robert's will much more convincing, although I find it extremely hard to read.

Alan

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 October 15 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

I have found something, maybe nothing but, the witnesses to the marriage of Robert Blunt and Mary Burbidge ~ John and Ann Reynolds/ Reynotes have led me to look at this marriage

February 19th 1750 by Licence

Edward BURBIDGE of the parish of St George the Martyr , County of Surrey, widower and MARY REYNOLDES, of the same, spinster.

Given that Richard Blunt ( bn 1660 Petersfield Hampshire)  has a son born in Petersfield c1699, I wonder if this could be his marriage in the same place.

Petersfield 9 Apr 1694 Richard Blunt married Martha BEALE

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 October 15 19:50 BST (UK) »
Ah, so my eyes saw Abbottsford, but it is Petersfield?...Still foggy brained from even looking at that will, well, and the wee hours didn't help, but I need to wrap my brain around things or I cannot focus. my husband couln't help me read it either & he has great eyes ....whereas I have trouble reading a great deal of normal type
Thanks for that as I have not got any of this connection...you have helped me so much Claire in getting me pointed in the right direction...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 22 October 15 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi J J

One thing is puzzling me, William Harffys Will of 1795 lists lots of bequests to his Grandchildren etc. and his beloved DAUGHTER Mary wife of George Moody Longroft

Did she marry again ? Or am I losing the plot  ;D

claire

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 22 October 15 20:25 BST (UK) »
Aah !! J J

Have just read the Will of Robert Blunt..... " the remainder thereof to my NEICE  Mary HARFFY daughter of the aforesaid William Harffy "  (spelling ~ Niece)

Mary Harffy was Roberts niece,

I think the 1750 marriage of Edward Burbidge and Mary Reynoldes maybe the correct one, note witnesses to her marriage to R Blunt were John and Ann Reynoldes/Reynolds

claire

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 22 October 15 22:42 BST (UK) »
Well, I can't read most of the words in that will. Was that his own handwriting, as I have seen others that form an H like a capital S joining a small C.  I do miss the days when I had your amazing ability to decipher handwriting!

You are fantastic, I could not read the word niece...haha...sory, I thought it might have said spouse...DUH...was wondering why he'd use a nee for her as that is more a wonderful Scottish habit.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 23 October 15 01:07 BST (UK) »
Looking at the find a grave site, I see that Dr. William Harffy ( chirurgeon/surgeon) was the son of APOTHECARY Thomas Harffy and Elizabeth Harffy...Another apothcary!  :D http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSob=n&GScid=1982778&GRid=139986541&df=np&