Author Topic: JUSTICE - Great Tew  (Read 3092 times)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
JUSTICE - Great Tew
« on: Monday 18 February 13 19:11 GMT (UK) »
I have two males I belive to be brothers but no proof. I've scoured the online resources but can't find baptisms for either of them. I'm unable to get to the Oxfordshire Record Office, unfortunately.

William JUSTICE born c1809 Great Tew
Edward JUSTICE born c1815 Great Tew

I expect there are probably more siblings to add in the mix.

William remained in Great Tew until at least 1850 (based on children's places of births from census and baptisms); Edward's children all seem to be born in Little Tew.

If anyone has access to Little/Great Tew records and could have a look to see if there are JUSTICE baptisms c1800-1820 I would be very grateful.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: JUSTICE - Great Tew
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Well firstly the PR's for Lt Tew begin in 1854 which was when it became a parish in its own right. Before then it was a chapelry of St Michaels Church, Gt Tew.

Edward was s o William and Sara Bapt at St Michaels 1 June 1816

I cannot see a Baptism for your William in 1809, in fact there are no baptism s for the JUSTICE family before 1816?

From OFHS CD  OXF- CN03,
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much NDRFT.

That's quite exciting. A long time ago (before I noted every single source (because I'll remember where I read that, right? :roll: )) I pencilled in William's parents as being William & Sarah and if Edward is son of the same William & Sarah then they came from Swerford (c1787) & Chadlington (c1782) respectively.

If this is the same William & Sarah, they had another son, John, born in Swerford c1815 - maybe why they aren't to be found in Great Tew before c1816.
Quite a lot of possibility in what you managed to find, so thank you very much.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Closest match I can find in the Oxfordshire Family History Society Marriage Index:

Chadlington, 9 May 1808
William JUSTER married Sarah BROOKS.

Any use?
Carol

OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carol,

That's also rather interesting.
Thomas (another son of William & Sarah) married an Elizabeth BROOKS from Stow on the Wold (not too far from Chadlington, albeit over the county border) in 1845; she died in 1847 and in 1851 Thomas is in the same household as Hannah BROOKS - Elizabeth's sister - he married her that year.
Not that BROOKS is an uncommon name, but interesting to see the same names marrying into the same names.

Thank you very much Carol

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Glad it was info that was of some use.

I am anxious about raining on your parade but there are no JUSTICE's in Chadlington PR's.

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Me again
Swerford
Baptisms
John s o William & Sarah 19 Sept 1813
Hannah d o William & Sarah 4 Nov 1810

William was s o Edward B 1757 D 1823 Bur 13 July 1823 and Ann nee Hitchman B 1766 D 1818 Bur 2 Feb 1818. Edward and Anne were married after banns which were read during Sept 1782 no actual dates entered., nor is their actual marriage, but they were both otp?

Edward and Sarah also had
John Bapt 22 June 1783
William Bat 24 Dec 1786 = yours
Sarah Bapt 12 Dec 1790

Sarah above married after banns to William Randle 10 Dec 1812

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

That's not so bad (not finding JUSTICEs in Chadlington) - it was Sarah, William's wife, that came from Chadlington. William was (according to census returns) from Swerford. {I see from your next post you already looked for me}

Mind you they wouldn't be the first in my tree to suddenly appear as if dropped off by aliens.
An email yesterday has suggested to me that the JUSTICE family may have originated in Berkshire - but that's a few generations away and something I'll have to look into further.

I can't belive how much info you turned up from Swerford.
I've certainly got a lot to get my teeth into. Thank you so much for taking the time to have alook for me, it is appreciated.

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 10:39 GMT (UK) »
You are very welcome, there is more info when you are ready so just let me know.

I know Oxfordshire very well, so if I can help just shout. Oh and by the way that alien transport you spoke of, some of my ancestors have started using that, just turn up from now where then just disappear to no where - wish I could have used that from time to time during my mortal time here!!!!!!

T ra

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,