Author Topic: look up request; immigration into Boston USA 1948  (Read 1074 times)

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
look up request; immigration into Boston USA 1948
« on: Thursday 21 February 13 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone be able to look up the immigration records for me for Diane De Ganay, age about 28, I think came to the USA via Boston 1948 from either France or England.
I would  like to know if anyone travelled with her, also looking for Eleanor Hill Irving coming in at the same time from either England or France could have been travelling either as her companion or as nurse.

Thank you for help

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: look up request; immigration into Boston USA 1948
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 February 13 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi
She arrived 18.6.1948 on the De Grasse from France age 26 from Le Harve on her own.She lived in Paris.
Eleanor Hill Irving left the Uk 22.9.1954 from Liverpool to Boston on the Nova Scotia nurse age 62.52 Balcarres Road Leyland.She died 6.11.1965 at a nusing home in Arlington Mass.Will to Jane Cuthell Irving and Elizabeth Webster Watson .1182.
Ciderdrinker

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 February 13 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this, I had hoped Eleanor had accomapined her. I have a missing 14 years 1940 to 1954, I can only presume she went back to France after the war and was a nanny for other family members.

Thank you for all your help

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 February 13 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Marriage of Diane and William was 23 rd June 1948

Diane was marked as divorced on the 18th June 1948 passenger list. Sister was named as Mme Rene Courtois 18 Rue Jean Gougon Paris. Had been in the USA in 1947. Last departure date Oct 2nd.  Fiancee Mr William Kitchel, Wolcoh Str Litchfield Conn

Eleanor Irving born 1892 and aged 56 years travelled from Southampton to New York, arriving 13 August 1948 on the De Grasse. Going to 235 Lincoln Str. Engelwood. NJ.

UK Incoming Eleaner H Irving abt 1892 and aged 59 years. Nurse. Going to 52 Balcarrees Leyland Lancashire.
Travelling Boston, Massachusetts to Liverpool arriving 1 st August 1951 on the Newfoundland.

UK Incoming Passenger List - Eleanor Irving 1892 and aged 62 years. Childrens Nurse. Travelling Boston, Massachusetts to Liverpool arriving 28 July 1954 on the Newfoundland. Going to the Leyland Lanc address.

Sandra

Previous US thread with Eleanor :- http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,635896.msg4832535.html#msg4832535
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 February 13 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Now this is really interesting, I had found the later shipping dates for Eleanor but not the 1948. I wonder what Diane was doing in USA in 1947? I am pretty sure that Dianes birth name was de Ganay as it ties up with the records I have found in France, I wonder if her previous marriage was to an American or a Frenchman?

Unfortunately in europe the post war records are such a mess, or were destroyed.

Thank you for this, I have written to Dianes son so who knows I may be able to fill in some gaps.

Thank you

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada