Author Topic: Bourne, Lincolnshire  (Read 2247 times)

Offline akbarsprincess

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bourne, Lincolnshire
« on: Thursday 21 February 13 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Is anyone able to do look-ups for this area? I have a problem.  I looked into it a few years ago but got a bit stressed and put the matter to one side for a while.

I'm hoping someone can help me with this.  In the course of my research I have discovered a contradiction between familysearch.org and some research carried out by another person I discovered online.  John Scotchbrook (Sometimes written as Codgbrook) (b.1747)and Elizabeth Sampson (b.1747) married 1767 had several children two of whom were called John, one born approx 1768 and the other 1771.  Familysearch states that the younger John was married to a Charlotte Taylor (b.1801) and the elder a Mary Meadows (or Meadwell b.1791) my 4x Great Grandmother but according to someone elses research the younger John was actually married to both women, not sure if bigamously, with births between the two overlapping, and that Mary was in and out of a lunatic asylum according to Ketton Parish records.  Can anyone clear up the confusion?  Which girl was married to which John?  Any information on any of these people would be appreciated.  Family search not always accurate.  Someone else stated that.....

"Also due to the ketton parish records the reason we have a crossover between johns children to mary meadwell and charlotte taylor is that mary was a registered lunatic who was in and out of asylum and john felt honour bound to be with her at these times when she was out but after the first time the marriage was not binding anymore but they appeared to have one child after she first came out".

How they can know this  about them I don't know.  Anyway, I'm trying to trace a marriage record for John and Charlotte whether bigamous or not.  Charlotte appears to have emigrated to the States with her family later on.
Scotchbrook, Codgbrook, Marples, Harris, Griffin, Raisin, Watts (of Leitrim Ireland)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Bourne, Lincolnshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 February 13 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Virtually all Lincolnshire records are now on the Free web site Lincs to the Past. It takes some getting used too, but virtually everything is there if you follow the instructions.Why not give it a try?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline akbarsprincess

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bourne, Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 February 13 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Super idea.  If only more records were available for free. Much appreciated.  I'll give it a try.
Scotchbrook, Codgbrook, Marples, Harris, Griffin, Raisin, Watts (of Leitrim Ireland)