Author Topic: Fredolin SCHMEIDER  (Read 12521 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FREDOLIN SCHMEIDER
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 February 13 05:18 GMT (UK) »

Hi Leisa,

There doesn't appear to be any surviving passenger list for the arrival of the Fanny Kirchner into NSW.  The Master's report says that there were 203 passengers onboard.

Debra  :)

Empire  1 Mar 1858
Arrivals Feb 27
FANNY KIRCHNER, barque, 550 tons, Block, from Bremen October 25, and Cape of Good Hope January 18. Passengers Dr. and Mrs. Eichler, daughter, and servant, Miss Frankeen, and 205 emigrants. Agents, Kirchner and Co.
The Fanny Kirchner brings a number of German Immigrants  amongst them are vine trimmers, shepherds, mechanics, and agricultural labourers. Mr. Hamburgher, the German Immigration Agent, superintends the hiring of them, to whom all applications by employers should be made.
The Fanny Kirchner put into the Cape of Good Hope, for water and provisions.

Sydney Morning Herald 9 Mar 1858
38 passengers signed a letter thanking Captain Block
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0t03/

I can't find a report of smallpox or quarantine in the press of the day.  There was an inquest into the death of an female immigrant in a boarding house where the agents had housed 70 passengers from the Fanny Kirchner in overcrowded and unsuitable lodgings.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 February 13 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Not enormously helpful but this news item of Oct. 1870 tells he lived opposite the family named GLYNN on Warwick Road.

Oct. 1870
The only case at the Police Court yesterday consisted of one of abusive language, preferred by Fridolin Schmeider, of the Warwick-road, against Jane Glynn, his opposite neighbor. The Bench considered the case proved, and fined defendant £1 and £1 14s. 6d. costs, failing the immediate payment of which defendant to be imprisoned for one month in Brisbane gaol.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 February 13 05:57 GMT (UK) »
FREDOLIN left a will.  Perhaps it will identify and locate his land for you.

WILL of FRIDOLIN SCHMEIDER, late of the Peak Mountain, near Ipswich, in the Colony of Queensland, Farmer, Deceased.
"NOTICE is hereby given that, after the ex -piration of fourteen days from the date   of the publication hereof, application will be made to the said Honorable Court that PRO BATE of the WILL of the abovenamed Fridolin Schmider, deceased, may be granted to HENRY VON LOSSBERG, of Ipswich aforesaid, Medical Practitioner, and CHARLES WILSON, of Greenmount, near Ipswich aforesaid, Farmer, the Executors named in the said Will.
Dated at Ipswich this 25th day of April, A.D.,

You can order it from the archives QLD for a fee
some details are here.  Use the index to locate it first.

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/Indexes/Courts/Pages/Wills.aspx#costs

sue

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 February 13 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Fredolin made his house into a hotel (or at least tried to)

This article was in the Brisbane Courier of 3 JUne 1869

Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 February 13 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Not enormously helpful but this news item of Oct. 1870 tells he lived opposite the family named GLYNN on Warwick Road.

Oct. 1870
The only case at the Police Court yesterday consisted of one of abusive language, preferred by Fridolin Schmeider, of the Warwick-road, against Jane Glynn, his opposite neighbor. The Bench considered the case proved, and fined defendant £1 and £1 14s. 6d. costs, failing the immediate payment of which defendant to be imprisoned for one month in Brisbane gaol.

Sue

The above was published on the 17 Oct 1870.

A previous appearance on the 12 Oct 1870....

Fridolin Schmeider, a German farmer, residing on the Warwick-road, was then charged by one Thomas Glynn; a neighbor, with having used threatening language to his wife to the effect that he would chop her and the children in two whenever he could lay his hands upon them. Defendant was bound over in his own recognizance in £5, to keep the peace for three months.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 February 13 06:25 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Was just reading that Cando. No neighbourly love lost there.
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Offline Leisa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 February 13 09:31 GMT (UK) »
I love roots chat...it is such a wonderful collaborative wealth of information and research who are extremely kind and helpful...Thank you so much Mariona, Debra, tedscourt, Merlin, Cando and Sue for all your fantastic information.  I love how you are all helping me locate Fredolin's land.  My dad will love this as well.  He is nearly 80 and we were so close but yet so far when we went to Fassifern in January trying to find the original farm.  I thought of using the electoral roll for Qld in the late 1800's, however I wasn't able to access it on ancestry and because I live in Bundaberg, going to the State Library can be a little difficult.  The website links to trove, the Fanny Kirchner and Ipswich, Peak Crossing sites are appreciative.  You know, I've been researching Fredolin and his family for some time and it amazes me how you think you've come to a brick wall, yet there is more out there.  You are all truly amazing.  Thank you.  I hope to find exactly where it was. I wonder if there is anyway I could access Bundamba early land records to find the property.  When Fredolin placed that add in the paper about the motel, I actually rang up hotels in the area and was told it was burned down.  I wonder if he did actually become the publican and was it the same place where his farm was.  Dad talks about a place called Spicer's Gap as well, where Fridoline's son Karl drove his bullock team though as well.  Unfortunately the day we went to Fassifern/Templin area, we ran out of time to go there.  We spent alot of time at the Ipswich cemmetery trying to find where Fredolin is buried to pay our respects, then visited the Templin museum to see if they were able to assist us.  I told Dad I would take him again, maybe this time, we'll be able to see where the Schmeider family all started from. 
Kindest and warmest regards,
Leisa

Offline Leisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 February 13 09:35 GMT (UK) »
I must say, I did have a chuckle to myself about the article where there is no neighbourly love lost.  It's a great lead too knowing that his opposing neighbour was Flynn.  Sounds like a very Irish name to me.  I wonder if they ever made up and they shared a pint at his pub.
 ;)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 February 13 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There is a Land Selection File item No 44924, Department number 322, Ipswich held at the Qld State Archives that mentions Fedolin Schneider. 

11th March 1870 Queensland Government Gazette makes mention of many leases including under Register No 322  a 92 acre First Class Pastoral Conditional lease to Fredolin Schneider applied for on 10th November 1869 in the Parish of Flinders, Ipswich Disctrict.

It is probable that I'll be going to the Qld State Archives this coming week and if I do I'll check this item number file.

Gerry