Author Topic: catholic Schools Glasgow 1930's  (Read 10758 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
catholic Schools Glasgow 1930's
« on: Saturday 23 February 13 05:56 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out which Catholic primary/secondary school my mother might have attended from mid 1920's till mid 30's, whilst living at Millerston St., Glasgow.  She was then married at St. Anne's church in Whitevale St., in 1940, but the only "St. Anne's school" I can find in the area is the current one which wasn't built till 1969.  (have checked their website - no history on it).

Does anyone have ideas on schools for this area?  The family she was raised by wouldn't have been able to send her to any type of fee paying school at all - so any ideas anyone?
Cheers
Maggs
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: catholic Schools Glasgow 1930's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 February 13 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggs

A little here as background www.scan.org.uk/knowledgebase/topics/schoollogbook.htm Have a look there also at the frequently asked questions which includes a further link to Glasgow schools.

Glasgow City Archives are now at the Mitchell Library.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craftylass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 February 13 14:23 GMT (UK) »
I had a look in Wikipedia - under Dennistoun - and it mentions a RC school St Denis' in Meadowpark Street (no dates however) which is very close to St Anne's Church.  It said that pupils then went on to St Mungo's in the Gallowgate.    Perhaps she may have gone to both these schools.   Good luck with  your search.  Craftylass

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 February 13 20:24 GMT (UK) »
How about St Mary's in Abercromby Street, not too far from Millerston street.

Skoosh.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 February 13 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I am thinking that "St. Mary's, Abercrombie St., might be the one I have seen listed as "St. Mary's Calton" - quite a well known school - could be a good possible.

I didn't see a "St. Denis" listed in Dennistoun - better have a good look at the old maps to figure out where Meadowpark St. is... I doubt very much that my mother would have gone on to St. Mungos' - apart from the fact that I thought it used to be a boys only school - I would have thought she would have mentioned if she had ever gone there, as I know for sure my father went there, spoke about it often, and yet she never mentioned it as being her school.

Wonder if the Glasgow Catholic Diocese archives kept records of these schools? Oh, to be able to have a trip back to the Auld country - I could be there for a year, and still have family connections to investigate... lol...
Thanks again for the ideas everyone.
Maggs
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 February 13 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Perhaps this may help you find what you need.

http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/the-mitchell-library/archives/collections/school-archives/Pages/default.aspx

I would not restrict your search to Catholic only schools.  My Dad & his sisters all grew up and attended schools in Glasgow at this same time - all went to different schools!

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 February 13 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks California Dreaming... great link....

Now if only I can sort out some idea of the possible schools she would have attended, I can ask the Archive people to have a search for me....  don't think I can expect them to do a search with just the option of my mothers' time frame and home address - but once I have an idea, can chase them up re any possible records.  My mother was raised by a "good Catholic Irish/Scottish, spinster lady" - and I am sure that it would be nigh on impossible for them to send her to a school other than Catholic!!

Have found some really good old Glasgow school photos on Virtual Mitchell - wow, those old Victorian buildings - they looked much bigger than I expected - and so dark and foreboding.  Thank God I was educated in typical 50's/60's "prefab" looking type schools.  At least they were bright and airy!

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 February 13 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

If you contact the Archives and explain they may know exactly which school or schools the local children would have attended.  I don't think they would find it an imposing question! I don't do much research in Scotland but your post caught my eye because this is where my Grandad, Dad and his siblings lived and attended school.  For example my Grandfather came from much the area you are talking about.  He attended St Joseph's Primary school and then St Mungo's.  Don't know if it was a boys only school!  However, I do have a photo of him at school and there were only boys in the photo!!

Here are a couple of suggestions:

Look at a map and find the schools local to Millerston Street.  There may be historic maps of the area you want online and you can access them or you may be able to look at a more modern one and piece together your information that way.

Try a directory or similar.  Below is a link to one from Glasgow 1927. Although these were published annually I'm sure the  schools listed would not change so much in those few years. Don't know if you have used directories much but you will need to know which area and from this you can find out lots of information.  Much like using the Yellow pages today!http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~glasgow/index-glas.htm

Hope this is helpful  :)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 February 13 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Californiadreaming,

Thanks for your suggestions and the link to the Glasgow Directory. I was interested to read about your family history in the same area as my parents.  Can you tell me where St. Joseph Primary was? 

I will have a better study of old maps of the Millerston St. area.. I know that my mother's family also lived in Bluevale St., before Millerston St.

I have actually trawled through the 1927 Post Office Directory and have found a "short list" of possible schools.... will keep working at it.  There are also about 600 photos of various Glasgow Schools on virtual mitchell.... found a few of interest. 

Isn't it amazing just how much time we can spend on our research?? lolol.  There goes the housework again!!!!