Author Topic: Amlwch Mariners  (Read 10120 times)

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Amlwch Mariners
« on: Saturday 23 February 13 23:19 GMT (UK) »
My Father Inlaw from Amlwch was a master mariner and worked on the Rose ships as did many local Welshmen I have built up a list of the ships and their eventual fate ,did anyone have a relation that sailed on the same vessels and may have talked about their life at sea the period would have been1920--1940s. I have looked on the Welsh mariners site but only found limited info.I doubt if many of the crew members would still be alive they would be over 90yrs old ,one of them may have been your Grandfather.

Offline LynRoberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Amlwch Mariners
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 17 09:59 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather and his brother (maybe 2 brothers) also worked on the Rose ships. I would really appreciate any photos and information that you have as I'm trying to piece it all together by myself as there's no family left to provide details. My grandfather was William Parry and his brothers Owen and Evan all born in Pant y Gwyddel, Marianglas (LlanfairME/Llaneugrad) in the late 1800's. My grandfather died in 1941 due to a road accident.

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 January 17 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lyn  I have a few photos of the Rose ships  i have downloaded from various sites and a history of what happened to them, I will sort them out and post some info in the next couple of days .Here are a couple to start with .Chris

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 January 17 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Re. fates of these ships, do you have the Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail's newspaper report of the sinking of the Mersey Rose, Oct 1930?

Crew saved and among those named - Captain J E Owen, of Amlwch; Bosun Owen Parry; Chief Engineer George Francis, of Amlwch.

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 January 17 20:25 GMT (UK) »
hi Hanes not seen newspaper report but I have some info on what happened to some of the ships they are on As so may have problem with size when I try to post them ,here goes Chris.

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 January 17 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi hanes Nightmare trying to post kept telling me there were already files with same names which there wasn't changed names several times still probs then used why & not going to post next sheet here goes, still error telling me I have same file name I shall try again later .

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 January 17 21:46 GMT (UK) »
The Gronant Rose sank off Ushant after hitting a submerged wreck on Fri 27th Sep 1929. It was taking coal from Cardiff to Brest. The crew of 13 escaped in a lifeboat, landed at Le Conquet and made their way to Brest. Described as a "British Collier, 1100 tons".

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 January 17 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hull Daily Mail 17 Oct 1946
SHIPPING MOVEMENTS
GOOLE MOVEMENTS
Departures - Oct 16, Takis K (ex Cornish Rose), London, blst.

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 January 17 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for info i can fill in some of the gaps in my files that I missed.Still can't post 2nd list maybe it's because both pages have same header but it's not in file name I'll re- scan and change header to page 2 and see if that cures it ,never had this happen before.No wonder so many of these ships were sunk in the war years they were sitting targets,Red Rose torpedoed by UB 57 in English Channel           
22nd May 1918 all crew lost .14th Aug 1918 UB mined off Flanders coast all hands lost 34 dead bodies of Captain and crew washed ashore 22nd Aug 1918.Submarine Capt Johannes Lohs was prolific at sinking ships that stood no chance .Chris