Author Topic: Samuel HILTON in Jamaica circa 1790-1838  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Samuel HILTON in Jamaica circa 1790-1838
« on: Sunday 24 February 13 09:08 GMT (UK) »
I have several scraps of info about Samuel HILTON taken fully from the internet. There are other posts on Rootschat about this family that I have posted but this is a separate angle to my enquiry as it is in a different country.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,617875.msg4668370.html#msg4668370

I know he was involved with the Jamaican post office (ran it? or a deputy?)  there and also with the Barrett-Browning family's plantation in some way (legal business?)

Addition:  I have just reread the Slave Registers and Emily McFatter (his mistress? wife?) was owned by Samuel Barrett at Cinnamon Hill plantation but was considered free. However her owner dallied with signing her manumission! This was the plantation owned by the Barretts, relations of Elisabeth Barrett Browning

He had a Jamaican wife? or mistress? called Emily or Amelia McFatter or Mc Father. He had at least 3 daughters by her, who all married into English middle-class families:

Sarah who married Henry FENWICK a Liverpool laywer in 1852, lived in LANCS Staines and Wales
Margaret who married Thomas GARDINER a clergyman in 1834, lived in Stanley St Anne's LANCS
Ann who married Charles BOULTBEE a surgeon in 1822 died 1829 in CAMBS.

Also 2 other daughters
Mary died young and unmarried in Cambs. 1830- don't know of her mother
Another Sarah who died in 1822 in Cambs. Don't know of her mother either.

In 1834/5 he settled a property and goods  in Jamaica on Emily McFatter and Margaret reputed daughter of Samuel Hilton by Emily McFatter, witnessed by the Mayor of Liverpool, England. According to the slave registers online Emily and Margaret were given their freedom by manumission. Emily was a "quadroon" as they called them in those days. (Hope I do not offend by quoting this term written so long ago)

During his time in England the family were friendly with the family of Adam CLIFF, witnessed marriages appeared at baptisms. The CLIFF were wealthy Liverpool merchants engaged in trade with Jamaica, possibly Samuel worked for the CLIFF's?

Does anyone know of this families time in Jamaica? The girls said they were born in Montego Bay Jamaica 1799-1829 approx.

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Marylou5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel HILTON in Jamaica circa 1790-1838
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 April 20 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Gen,

I am chasing info on Samuel Hilton too and most particularly his wife/mistress Milly McFatter who is my GGGG grandmother, via Margaret Hilton her daughter and Frances Maria her granddaughter.
I am assuming that since you are chasing them down we are related distantly?
Best wishes from your distant cousin!
Marylou5

West Mids

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 April 20 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Marylou

I amassed a huge amount of information when I was following the trail of Henry Fenwick who married Sarah Hilton, daughter of Samuel.

I thought Henry Fenwick was related to my Northumbrian Fenwicks but I haven't found a link so far.

However, the Hilton story was so interesting I've carried on researching to this day as new info comes online.

Another descendant contacted me several years ago, she is a descendant of Sarah Hilton too.

Do you have Samuel's will?

After you have posted here 3 times I can send you more info privately.

Gen in NBL UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline Marylou5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 April 20 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Gen,
Thank you for your reply. In that case we are unrelated (sad). I am very much a beginner in the genealogy tracing game but I do have a good idea of the Melville family tree, my direct ancestry.

No, I don't have a copy of Samuel Hilton's will, it was something that I hoped to find. If you could.send.me.aa copy later when I have fulfilled the necessary posting criteria I would be very grateful.

You can imagine my surprise when I discovered that one of my ancestors had been a slave. Absolutely fascinating. Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.
Marylou.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 May 20 20:18 BST (UK) »
Mary Lou
Samuel Hilton's will:
From the archive search room at Preston LANCS:

The will of Samuel Hilton dated 20/4/1839 (reference WCW) states the following executors: Margaret Gardner (formerly Maynard-Hilton), William Cliff and Adam Cliff. It also states the following beneficiaries: Margaret Hilton, Sarah Hilton (living in Jamaica) and Charles Hilton Boultree. As the original will was made in 1834 and completed in 1839, it may be assumed that Margaret was married in this period.

I have so much info, it would be easier for me if you ask questions and I answer them, if I can.

Gen in NBL, UK

Offline Marylou5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 May 20 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Gen,
Thanks for the information. Do you have a photocopy of the will and probate documents? I'd love to see them.
Do you know where the name Maynard comes from? I have the GRO reference for Margaret's marriage, for 23rd September 1834. Let me know if you want  it. I will order a copy of the certificate when I can afford it. I have seen Frances' certificate.
Do you have a timeline for Samuel Hilton? Do you know where he was born, who his parents were?
I have a million questions- you have let yourself in for a lot of correspondence here! If you have any more info on Milly McFatter I'd love to see it.

Thank you for your help.
Marylou x

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 May 20 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Marylou

I have sent you a personal message via Rootschat.

Gen in NBL UK

Offline Sacha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 October 21 18:07 BST (UK) »
Dear Gen List Lass

I hope you are still connected with ROOTS and checking out for messages....

I started a search on the internet for more information about my Great Great Grandfather Dr William Cecil Fenwick (died 1902 Llangollen) because my mother told me he was a surgeon at Guys Hospital in London. I was fascinated with the connection that we both worked in the same hospital probably 100 years apart. In 1997 when i worked at St Thomas and Guys NHS Hospital trust there was a medical library we visited but being before the days of internet little was catalogued so we were not able to link him with many things we were trying to find out about him.

Over the years i have looked every now and then on the internet and my mother is always telling stories of ship merchants, Liverpool and something about Jamaica but nothing concrete.
My mothers cousin gave me a family tree to look after so i will dig that out.

When William Fenwick died i am sure that Julia, her mother and sibblings remained in Ruthen/Llangollen area.

So i am the the great great grand daughter of Dr William Cecil Fenwick. It seems from following a trail on ROOTS that Sarah Hilton was his mother, Henry Fenwick( Solicitor and friends with Thomas gardener?) his father and Samuel Hilton his Grandfather & Milly or Amelia McFatte, Jamaican his Grandmother.

William Cecil Fenwick it seems had a number of children( i dont have all the details) and one of his daughters was called Julia May Fenwick it seems born.1900. Read that he grew up and was educated in Liverpool and then i think he went to medical school in Edinburgh and we seem to be able see that he graduated here as a doctor and then went to work in London and lived in Clapham area. Family say he developed TB and that is possibly when he moved to Llangollen and soon after died. My GG Grandmother Julia would have been 1 0r 2 years old... I am not sure how her mother managed financially but i always remember my GG Grandmother being hard working but well to do - always matching handbags, shoes, hats and coats. Percy was a smart and handsome man who fought in the war, again more details i need to research. We have lovely photos of them and one of him on a horse.

Julia was my Great grandmother. I remember her very well and it is one of her daughters Heather Mary who is my maternal grandmother, Heathers daughter - Rosemary Heather being my mother.

Julia married Percy Royle(not sure how they met) and they had 5 children - Cecil Royle(m. Kathleen Marsh) they had 3 girls, George Royle (couple of marriages i think and i know one of his daughters Jenny), Audrey Royle never married,no children, Heather Royle and Sheila Royle married with 1 daughter(Jenny, no one knows where she is) and a 1 daughter from a previous "war time" relationship.This daughter Barbara (living in Liverpool) has now found our family but sadly missed meeting her mother. My mum and her cousins have met her a number of times and i met up with her once.

My Great grandfather Percy Royle born 1895, lived Whittington i didn't know him he died before i was born. Percys' father was John Royle born 1852 lived in Whittington, Cheshire.
Percy was a farmer and they lived together at the start of their marriage at Minsterley The Park Farm in Shropshire.

My grandmother Heather married Alfred Evan Griffiths, Shropshire farmer ( need more information on that family!) and they had 3 children, Rosemary my mum, Peter Griffiths and Fred Griffiths. Then there are all of our generation.... i have 1 sister, 1 brother and another brother who died young.

There is so much amazing research and information on this forum its quite overwhelming to read it all - especially have loved seeing the link with St Annes Church in STanley and the gravestone of Samuel Hilton! Can feel a road trip coming on to visit Liverpool which i keep talking about wanting to visit but had no particular reason other than it looks like an amazing city and now i feel a real connection. I have always loved travel and left home at 17 yrs for Cardiff university was dead set on living in London which i did for a few years, then Edinburgh and onto Singapore for 10 years because my husband had a job opportunity so we went! Now based back in South West.

Really look forward to hearing from you or anyone else with any more information.... Best wishes Victoria 

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 October 21 15:23 BST (UK) »
William Cecil Fenwick it seems had a number of children( i dont have all the details) and one of his daughters was called Julia May Fenwick it seems born 1900.

Marriages Mar 1900

EVANS,    Caroline Louise       
FENWICK,    William Cecil
Oswestry    6a   953

Birth

FENWICK, (no first name)
Mother's maiden surname: EVANS     
GRO Reference: 1900  J Quarter in HOLYWELL  Volume 11B  Page 210

In 1901 Caroline is a boarder in Islington, London, aged 30, born Oswestry, Julia is 10 months, born Northop, Flintshire. William is also in a boarding house, but in Llangollen, Denbighshire. Caroline Louisa is on her own in Shirley, Southampton in 1911.

Julia was their only child.

Debra  :)