Author Topic: William Penfold b1836 s/o John & Harriet immigrated Canada  (Read 1426 times)

Offline ValleyP

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
William Penfold b1836 s/o John & Harriet immigrated Canada
« on: Sunday 24 February 13 17:03 GMT (UK) »
My GGrandfather William Penfold was born 1836 in Dorset, England a son of John Penfold b1809 and Harriet James. He and his older brother Robert sailed to New York in 1856 with several gypsy families (Bryar, Lovell, Jeffs and Stanley). Robert returned to England and William came into Canada around the time of the American civil war (1861). He lived most of his life in Caistor and then Clinton Townships in Ontario Canada, marrying Dianna Sophia Hewson about 1862. They had eight children, and William died in 1914. He does not seem to have had any relations in Canada, though he had a gypsy friend John Broadway of Detroit who  owned land near St.Catherines Ontario which William farmed or traded horses in the 1860s-70s. I have always wondered if he had any contact with his family in England and I have traced his nine siblings who stayed in England.  I do not have any family photos of William or his family other than my Grandmothers photo. Hoping to discover some.
descended from John Penfold b1809 and Harriet James

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Penfold b1836 s/o John & Harriet immigrated Canada
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There is an old book by George Fraser 1866-1948 entitled Amercian Gypsies if you can get hold of a copy it's worth a look.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline achooo

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Penfold b1836 s/o John & Harriet immigrated Canada
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 May 20 07:52 BST (UK) »
i am also from john and harriet i didnt know much about william didnt know he went to  america