Author Topic: Seymour family of Bray  (Read 4330 times)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Seymour family of Bray
« on: Sunday 24 February 13 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Is anyone able to fill in some blanks for me?
I have a George Seymour of Seapoint, Bray, born abt 1782, married Anne ??, buried 1849
George and Anne had a son Robert Seymour born abt 1804, married Alicia Clarke in 1847, died 1857

I would like to know if George and Anne had any other children? I am hoping for a George (would really like to know his year of birth) and Anne Matilda born abt 1816 (Wicklow according to 1851 census for England)

I know that George jnr was a ship owner but so far I have been unable to find him in the UK census and know little about him. His birth year would be a huge help

Many thanks.

Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Seymour family of Bray
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 February 13 21:56 GMT (UK) »
You didn't mention a denomination for your Seymour family, but if they were RC or Church of Ireland then you may be in luck as both sets of Bray parish records go back quite far. 1792 in the case of RC baptism and marriage records, and the 1660s for CofI records.

Transcripts of both are included on the pay-website at RootsIreland.

(Note early parish records are often very basic)

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 February 13 22:22 GMT (UK) »
The basic free index on RootsIreland is showing 46 baptisms, and 6 marriages for the surname Seymour in the transcripts for the parish records they have, including 4 baptisms with the initial G.

On Griffith's valuation on the AskAboutIreland (free) website there's a Robert Seymour listed at Fairyhill, Bray as occupying House, offices and garden, along with a 'Coal Yard'. This record is dated 1852.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 February 13 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Two of the George Seymour baptisms appear to be in Bray CofI parish. Both are matching to a father with initial 'G.' One of them appears to be around 1813, the other sometime before 1800.

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 February 13 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.
I found some of the same family (I think) on http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/ffa7bc0017249 in the COI records so perhaps they all were. I will look at Rootsireland.

(Added: thanks for all the posts)
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 February 13 22:30 GMT (UK) »
I found some of the same family (I think) on http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/ffa7bc0017249 in the COI records so perhaps they all were.

father Thomas Evans born Dublin city...

Seymour household 1901

My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 February 13 22:33 GMT (UK) »
marriage for that couple :

Marriage of Thomas Evans Seymour & Isabelle Alice Lindsay - 6 August 1880

Father for Thomas is a Jeremiah John Seymour

My Surname Interests

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 February 13 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. I am concentrating on the Georges so I have registered on the site you mentioned and will see where I get.  :)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seymour family of Bray (completed, thanks)
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 February 13 22:50 GMT (UK) »
That was just the nudge I needed! Now I have George in 1851/1861/1871 with the bonus of his nephew (later adopted) and his 1871 occupation as "Iceland Sulphur Merchant" - the unfortunate adopted son absent due to having just been shipwrecked off the coast of Iceland. I love it when it all comes together.