Author Topic: Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project  (Read 90232 times)

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 23:05 GMT (UK) »
hmmm, did for me too.  Was just hanging before, must be me.

Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 14 February 14 21:58 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

I have had a couple of friends who said they were unable to load the website link for about a couple of hours.. or any of the moonfruit websites, so maybe it was their system?

Really pleased to hear you visiting the website, :)  'Luzzu' is working on adding a few more items soon!
The Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project, Bookmark our website to see updates and information also. http://mgctp.com

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 21 February 14 11:21 GMT (UK) »
When we receive comments like the following in response to our project, it really makes all the hard work worthwhile:-

Many, many thanks for your kindness and generosity, and the amazing hard work that you are currently engaged in at the Manchester General Cemetery. What a wonderful project. I am so grateful to you for the fantastic response to my query about members of my family buired at the cemetery. Initially, I thought that it would be some considerable time before I would receive any news, but, your reponse was immediate and within a couple of days I received photographs of the final resting places of my family. I can't begin to express my appreciation...but a certainly a big thank you is sent to you along with sincere gratitude. Kind regards ES.

Thank You so much for the hard work you have all put into collating the details for the graves in this cemetery, it really means a lot.  Due to your great work, I now know the resting place for my GG,Grandfather, and you were also kind enough to send me, not only a picture of the grave, but also a map detailing where it is in the cemetery.
Kind regards to all of you. TB.

Thank you so much for locating my 2nd great grandparents, Job and Anne Gregory, my 3rd great grandmother, Job's mother, Frances Gregory, and Frances' sister, Sarah Beaton.  This opens up another generation of my birth family that I knew nothing about. Since I live in the US, I am unable to visit the cemetery but I have photos of their stone. Your reply to my initial query was super fast and I greatly appreciate it.  Now to continue my research and try to figure out what happened to Frances' and Sarah's husbands, in addition to what Frances' and Sarah's maiden name is. E from USA.

Thank you for all of your friendly and caring help in finding my cousins graves.  I really appreciate the work you and the other team members do in preserving the cemetery and helping us family historians!
As I live in Australia, there is not much hope of me visiting the cemetery in the near future, so it is wonderful that you can share the photos you have of the headstones.
Thank you once again.
Regards S, Australia.

I just want to say a big thank you to the team for looking for my ancestors graves & sending me photos. It's been so exciting & has enabled me to share the info on our common ancestors with relatives in the USA. I'm so glad that you guys do the work you do & that  their are people who care about the cemetery. I recently found out that my 3rd Great Grandma had been been buried at the Cheetham Hill, Wesleyan Cemetery but that all the bodies had been exhumed & reburied in a mass grave at Bury all to make way for a Tesco! I can understand grave yards are difficult to look after but would have much preferred they'd photographed the memorials before removal & made the area into a community park or gardens. Keep up the good work at Harpurhey guys. I will try & come over from Blackpool to give a hand soon. PW.

Thanks so much for finding the grave, and sending a photo, from my g-great grandfathers, g-grandmothers resting place. Very kind.
AC from Salzburg, Austria

A few weeks ago you very kindly sent us photographs of my families grave. My daughter, Judith, and I were so thrilled to receive these as we live in France and are unable to visit the cemetery in person at the moment. Therefore please accept a big thank you from us and from my 93 year old aunt who was very touched to see the photos.
Regards S.

Luzzu  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 21 February 14 13:17 GMT (UK) »
That's great, it makes all your hard work worthwhile. I've also had help on here finding my ancestors graves, for which I was very grateful.

I've loads of ancestors buried in Manchester cemeteries, but have never visited the graves.  Maybe if I ever go back up there, I'll have a look round. 

Lizzie

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 15 March 14 17:26 GMT (UK) »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Next Groundwork Date: Sunday 16th March

Hi Everyone!!!

After our Winter break we are now heading back to the Cemetery
We are hoping to complete the project this year
and would appreciate as much help as possible with the digging!!

PLEASE!!!!! PLEASE!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!
if you can help as much or as little as possible it would be gratefully appreciated!!

Hoping to fit in as many possible Sundays this year!

We arrive about 10.30am and stay until about 3-3.30pm weather permitting!!
so, as said any help would be fantastic!!

Just drop us a line and let us know your coming!!
Any last minute cancellations would be posted by 8.30am on the day,
here on Rootschat or if you leave us your number we'd contact you. 
We try not to leave things so last minute but the weather at times will do what it wants!!!
The Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project, Bookmark our website to see updates and information also. http://mgctp.com

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 17 April 14 21:33 BST (UK) »
A little bit of trivia, found by Cancan, whilst she was researching some of our Notable Burials.  It made us smile so we thought it worth sharing.

Apparently in January 1916, the “new electric trains”  which were on trial runs between Manchester and Bury “spark vividly and diffuse a bluish radiance into space”.  Two stories began circulating around Manchester, the first being that Zeppelins had attempted to bomb the City but had been scared away before they could do so but in the vicinity of Manchester General Cemetery the flashes of light shining on the gravestones prompted rumours of ghosts.  Large crowds of people gathered at the cemetery gates hoping to see something ghostly and those with a good enough imagination convinced themselves they had.  The crowds however didn’t last long and after a few nights the crowds diminished.

:D  :o  :D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 21:33 BST (UK) »

Next Groundwork Date:
Sunday 27 April

Abt 10.30am

Fingers crossed for the weather being good!!!

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 22:09 BST (UK) »

Next Groundwork Date:

Sunday 4th May

Arriving abt 10.30am

Weather predicted to be fine and dry
Hopefully another good day for uncovering gravestones

New info added to website if anyone would like to take a peek!!

ALL Hands Welcome!!

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 23:35 BST (UK) »
Next Groundwork Date:

:) Sun 25 May :)

Arriving abt 10.30am

Hopefully the Weather will be on our side

ALL HANDS WELCOME!