Author Topic: Lookup - 'Jamberoo Cemeteries NSW' booklet - Thomas HAMPTON  (Read 3012 times)

Offline jeffreyjoecarroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup - 'Jamberoo Cemeteries NSW' booklet - Thomas HAMPTON
« on: Monday 25 February 13 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters,
I am hoping someone may have a copy of the booklet 'Jamberoo Cemeteries NSW' and would kindly check and see if there is a listing for the burial of Thomas HAMPTON in 1855. Thomas was killed in Jamberoo by a falling tree in November of that year. Thomas, known to be CofE had recently arrived in Australia on an assistance scheme. Despite extensive research I'm still unable to locate his actual place of burial.
Any assisatnce greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Jeff

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup - 'Jamberoo Cemeteries NSW' booklet - Thomas HAMPTON
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 February 13 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Photos for the following cemeteries are listed at :
http://austcemindex.com/cemeteries.php?state=NSW
Jamberoo Catholic
Jamberoo General
Jamberoo Presbyterian
Jamberoo Uniting Church (with following note on that page) "In an enclosure behind this cemetery is another group of graves, and beyond that again is the Presbyterian cemetery in Allowrie Street. For purpose of record, the inscriptions in this middle cemetery have been included here but the portion has been indicated with a question mark. We have since been advised that this burial ground, with an access to it from Wyalla Road, is in fact an Anglican cemetery. Arrangements are in place to identify and reclassify that group of graves"

I don't have a booklet for "Jamberoo Cemeteries NSW" but Kiama Family History Centre does  :)
http://www.library.kiama.nsw.gov.au/fhc/

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 February 13 04:00 GMT (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/709589   Maitland Mercury 8 Dec 1855 (page 3S)
"Fatal Accident.-A man in the employment of Mr. Wallace, of Jamberoo, was so severely injured by the falling of a tree that he died at the expiration of four hours from the occurrence of the accident. Dr. Menzies was in attendance almost immediately, but the deceased never rallied. Deceased has left a wife and four children to mourn his loss.-Illawarra Mercury, Dec. 3"

The cutting mentions it was drawn from the Illawarra Mercury of 3 December (1855).   The cutting mentions a wife and four children.   

The Thomas HAMPTON, a Sawyer, ex the "Hilton" of Oct 1855 arrived with a wife and three children. 

Newspaper reports can often be wrong  ::)  but hopefully the cutting has the correct names for both your chap's employer and attending Doctor.   Perhaps Dr Menzies was also a Coroner.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline jeffreyjoecarroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 February 13 04:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello JM,
Yes, that is my Thomas....ex 'Hilton' and died on Wallace's property. Menzies was the Coroner; he lived next door to the Wallace property. Thomas survived for only 4 hours after the accident and I suspect he would not have been moved far afterwards. The Kiama FHG has previously informed me they do not have a complete copy of the Jamberoo Cemteries booklet, hence my hopes that a rootschatter has a complete copy. Dr. Menzies' official reports for the period are no longer available, nor have I been able to find any of his personal notes. The local Anglican Church has not been able to assist either.

I have previously checked the cemetery index pages for the area. Only the Catholic cemetery seems to have been in operation at the time of Thomas' death. I do not believe there would have been enough money available to the family for a headstone anyway; they'd only been in the country for 6 weeks or so (arriving under an assistance scheme). The family may not have been with him in the area when he died...they certainly didn't settle there.

I had a 'long shot' hope that the booklet may include him somewhere.

Your comments (as always) appreciated!!
Jeff

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 February 13 04:39 GMT (UK) »
http://www.library.kiama.nsw.gov.au/fhc/index.php/items-for-sale

"
Jamberoo Cemeteries NSW

Jamberoo General Cemetery, The Church of the Resurrection Church of England Cemetery, St Stephens Presbyterian Cemetery, St Matthews Roman Catholic Cemetery, Wesleyan Cemetery, Kinross Burial Ground, O’Meara Private Burial Ground and the Benedictine Abbey Burial Ground are all found in this publication.

Contains the names of all known burials taken from burial registers, headstone inscriptions, and council records"

Fingers crossed they have updated since you asked them for info  ;D

Cheers,  JM

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 February 13 05:17 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Yes JM, you are correct, an 1857 SMH edition makes reference to Dr Mezies as a Coroner at Kiama.

Gerry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 February 13 05:24 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Yes JM, you are correct, an 1857 SMH edition makes reference to Dr Mezies as a Coroner at Kiama.

Gerry

Agh, Gerry thanks for that  :)  I am very sure that Joe will be pleased too. 

So we need to find the inquest or the document that says basically that no inquest was necessary, and then the burial order.    Sorry, but .....   I am not familiar with Kiama/Jamberoo records for the 1850s. (I don't where to suggest to look for these  :'(  :'(  :'(  :-[  :-[  :-[ )  My forebears had left the area by mid 1840s.

Cheers,  JM

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 February 13 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look at the register of coroner's inquests - an inquest was held on 7th November 1855 at Illawarra, by Menzies, finding was death by "Injuries accidentally received".  No further info, unfortunately.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 February 13 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Prue,

Now to find if the burial has been recorded (mismashed) in the NSW BDM's Early Church Records  ::)   ....  I have tried to find "Thomas" 1855 and 1856 ....   

But along the way ..... there's always the NSW SRO's Guides/Aids, perhaps Joe has probably already gone down that path....   

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-in-brief/archives-in-brief-4#inquests-1826-1963

and

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/short-guide-2/deaths/deaths  (noting reel 2921 has some incorrect labels ... critically covering 1855  ;) )

and http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/short-guide-4/short-guide-4   giving you an idea of what volumes for each denomination .... if trying to determine the NSW BDM reference nos. where no district is mentioned in the ECR's.

Fingers crossed that these help to bring cracks into the brickwall.

Cheers,  JM