Author Topic: (COMPLETED)Birth Record JOSEPH CRAWLEY  (Read 2156 times)

Offline patjohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
(COMPLETED)Birth Record JOSEPH CRAWLEY
« on: Monday 25 February 13 12:12 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the birth record of Joseph Crawley born 1905 in South Africa. His mother travelled to South Africa between 1901 and 1905. Her "husband" Lawrence Crawley, born Scotland, was in USA from 1898 and I am assuming travelled to South Africa where Elizabeth joined him.
They left South Africa between 1905 and 1907 as her second son was born in Scotland in 1907 and then all four returned to USA. As I can't trace their marriage in Scotland or USA I am wondering if they also married in South Africa. Might they have gone there because of the Gold Mining or perhaps the Boer War?
A complicated story but hope someone can help.
Thanks
patjohn

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Record JOSEPH CRAWLEY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 March 13 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

There is a Joseph Crawley that served during the Boer War with the Bush Veldt Carbineers.  The Reference given is WO100/263.  Not sure if it is your Joseph, but if you could check the military records (I have my g.grandfathers)  If he married whilst in the army it will show as well as any children born during the time he served.

Good luck.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline patjohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Record JOSEPH CRAWLEY
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 March 13 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you The Joseph I have would have been too young to serve in the Boer War but thank you for your interest

Patjohn

COMPLETED