Author Topic: Does this location of a painting look familiar to anyone? - Solved!  (Read 5454 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Does this location of a painting look familiar to anyone?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 03:46 BST (UK) »
Yes, I can picture that.  I googled Gailey round house and saw some other pictures and with the canals going through and the little boats, perhaps it's in the Staffordshire area?

Perhaps he painted on his way.  He was from Surrey and then went to Kent, then I have him in Gloucester, then Wales, then Ireland.  Could Staffordshire be on the way?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 10:31 BST (UK) »
It's interesting that you say he went to Ireland Karen - I thought the last picture (cottage and girl) looked a bit Irish!

The girl is wearing a short skirt - have you any idea of dates for these pictures?
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
  • The next links in the mitochondrial DNA chain.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 11:03 BST (UK) »

The girl is wearing a short skirt - have you any idea of dates for these pictures?

I think you'll find the skirt is down to her ankles

Ysabeau
Aberdeenshire : Anderson + Baxter + Bruce + Dickson + Emslie + Hendry + Hunter + Laing + Lawson + Maitland + Reid + Robb + Walker + Watt + Williams

Banffshire/Morayshire : Farquharson + Gordon + Grant + Lamb + Lawson + Stewart/Stuart

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hmmm.....

The first picture on the thread (the one on the left) may well be Liverpool castle.

The pics that Alcrighton posted do look similar,in particular the building with the pointy spire away to the left as it would seem that the first pic also shows such a spire and in about the right place if you consider the perspective of the painting. :)

Just a thought,Mick ;)

Liverpool was also one of the major ports for shipping to Ireland,so quite possible.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 13:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, I see the spire.  The first picture also seems to have a very big building in the background which perhaps would only be found in big cities?  Does Liverpool have canals?

We have no idea when these pictures were painted, or by who really.  My grandmother and her siblings were told they were painted by their father.  He came to Canada in 1910 so they would have been painted prior to that.  He never painted any pictures in Canada which seems odd to me, he died in 1921. 

Would watercolour painting be an expensive hobby?  Could he really have afforded it?  He was a butler who parents were tenant farmers.

Thanks everyone for all your input.
Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

When I was looking for the pictures of Liverpool Castle I found a date when it was knocked down - late 18th century I think (can't find the reference again!).  So unless your grandfather copied his watercolour from an earlier work I don't think it's Liverpool castle.

Regards,

Allan
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan,

I noticed that it had been torn down as well in the 18th century.  In my post regarding "Finding a Location of an Abbey" it was suggested that perhaps the painting of Tintern Abbey was copied from a painting.  So, here that question has come up again, were these paintings in the home that he worked for and he just painted them from the paintings?  Did he even do them?  His children were too young when he died for them to ask any questions.  Perhaps their mother just said "they were your fathers" and over the years it has just been assumed he did them?

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

If he didn't paint them,perhaps they were given to him by an appreciative employer.

The subjects all look too early to have been painted (in the original) by your ggrandfather,as you say,he might have copied them, if he did,where are the originals I wonder?

If this had been the June challenge,you would probably know who painted it,where,when and the type of paint and canvas he used  ;D ,as it is,I'm stumped, but will keep a look out for any 'likely's' :)

I'm sticking with the Liverpool Castle idea for the first pic though,

Cheers,Mick ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 16:33 BST (UK) »
Here is what I have confirmed:

1901 Census - Thomas R. Shorter is a butler for Mowbray Trotter at St. Mary's East Farleigh, Kent.  Mowbray Trotter then becomes Canon at Gloucester Cathedral in 1904 (not sure if Thomas followed).

1907 - Birth certificate of his first son, Thomas's residence listed as Lisselan Estate, Clonakilty, Co. Cork, Ireland and occupation is a butler

In 1907 Lisselan Estate is owned by the by Bence-Jones Family.   

For many years Thomas R. Shorter (my gr-grandfather) family farmed for Rev. William Tringham in Chertsey/Longcross.  I have a pewter cup given to John and MaryAnn Shorter on the occasion of their 50th wedding anniversary dated 1903.

Another thing is that Donald Maxwell, who was a watercolour artist lived in East Farleigh, Kent and had been to Lisselan Estate, but not sure if that is just coincidence.

Any ideas??

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England