Author Topic: Does this location of a painting look familiar to anyone? - Solved!  (Read 5444 times)

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
  • The next links in the mitochondrial DNA chain.....
    • View Profile
Re: Does this location of a painting look familiar to anyone?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 22:18 BST (UK) »

Have you considered taking them to an Art Gallery for their opinion

Ysabeau
Aberdeenshire : Anderson + Baxter + Bruce + Dickson + Emslie + Hendry + Hunter + Laing + Lawson + Maitland + Reid + Robb + Walker + Watt + Williams

Banffshire/Morayshire : Farquharson + Gordon + Grant + Lamb + Lawson + Stewart/Stuart

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 23:50 BST (UK) »
I have found a different picture of Liverpool Castle that may be worth a second look.
It was found at this address: http://joannayates04lcc.tripod.com/liverpool/liverpool_done/

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 01:02 BST (UK) »
SS

That's a good picture, seems that there is a moat around it and bridge to get in the castle.

Ysabeau

I actually thought about that today.  I started by calling the local art gallery here, and then they told me who to call and so on and so on..Apparently I need to find myself an "Art Historian".  Perhaps they would be able to date the paper, if the paper was used say in the 1850's, then it would not of been painted by my gr-grandfather, but if they say 1900's then, perhaps they were painted by him.  Or maybe I have just  watched to many CSI (Crime Scene Investigation) shows!  LOL

Not to add to the confusion, but here are two more.

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 08:58 BST (UK) »
KarenM

Maybe your local library or Historical Society knows of a

reputable Art Historian - just be careful !!!

Ysabeau

Aberdeenshire : Anderson + Baxter + Bruce + Dickson + Emslie + Hendry + Hunter + Laing + Lawson + Maitland + Reid + Robb + Walker + Watt + Williams

Banffshire/Morayshire : Farquharson + Gordon + Grant + Lamb + Lawson + Stewart/Stuart

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 10:26 BST (UK) »
Liverpool Castle still exists, at least in spirit. Lord Leverhulme (he of the soap empire) built a scale replica of the ruins on his estate on the banks of one of the reservoirs at Rivington.

http://www.bolton.org.uk/rivington.html
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Ysabeau,

I was trying to find something like the "Antiques Roadshow" here in Canada.  And we do have one, but they are done for the year.  Anyways, I found another thing similiar and inquired if they would be in my area and the fellow emailed me back and said no, but that he lives in the same town as me and I could perhaps show him privately.  I checked his name out and seems to be one of the best and is from England.  What are the chances of that.   Not sure if it's going to cost me an arm and a leg, but we will see.  Will keep you posted.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 19:12 BST (UK) »
Karen

Please do.............I think the "pictures" are gorgeous !!!!

Ysabeau

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 19:56 BST (UK) »
Yes, let us know how you get on Karen.  The pictures are lovely and it would be great for you to have a professional opinion on them, so good luck!

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 19:59 BST (UK) »
I have a feeling these are from Normandy or Brittany - the area roughly around St. Malo or Treport. They resemble works by Clarkson Stansfield done about 1835 to 1850.  The warecolours you have shown us are of quite high technical expertise. It is hard to understand why they are not signed or described as to place 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk