Author Topic: Conroy's from Rosmuc  (Read 15913 times)

Offline Bill Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Conroy's from Rosmuc
« on: Tuesday 26 February 13 05:18 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for relatives or information on the Conroy family from Rosmuc. The father's name was Thomas. He was also known as Tom More or Tom Bottle. There were sons named Dudley, Michael, Thomas and Colman. Daughters were named Mary Agnes and Barbara Ellen. Mary & Barbara immigrated to the US in the late 1920's. Dudley supposedly moved to England. Barbara settled in Boston, and Mary in Pittsburgh. Barbara married a man named William Lonergan and Mary married a man named Stephen Patterson. Thank you for any info!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Conroy's from Rosmuc
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

You seem to have quite a bit of information Bill, so are you looking forward or back? Do you have the family in censuses  http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ ?
Those names occur a few times and there are several Conroy families in Rosmuck.
I wonder if Thomas' name may have been Thomas mór - 'big' Thomas.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bill Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Heywood,
Mostly....I am looking back. Tom could have been called Tom Mor, and I've heard that, but just didn't know the spelling. There is one other bit of info I forgot. There may be a family member that still lives on the original farm.
As for going forward....I do know one of the Conroys moved to Chicago and had seven children. I would appreciate any information on any of them.  Thanks Again.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

as you can see there are quite a few Conroys in 1901 and 1911 census in the area. Have you identified your family in those censuses?

Do you know Tom's wife's name and approximate year of marriage? A child's birth certificate would give you her name. 

Civil registration did not begin generally until 1864 so prior to that you would need Parish records. A marriage would hopefully give you their father's names.

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/galway/kilcummin.php  (abt 1850s) shows a few Conroy but more Conry in the area at that time.

Have you ever corresponded with the person who still lives in the area to see what they know?

heywood

Offline Bill Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 19:25 GMT (UK) »
I have not tried to contact the person that may still live there. I do not have an address or a phone number....just a possible name. I have not had much luck searching the records so far. The name is quite common as you know. I do know that Mary and Barbara returned several times to visit with family members. Most of the info I have is word of mouth.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I think this is probably the Conroy family you are looking for in the 1911 census
Link http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Turlough/Turlough_Beg/471121/
Barbara was aged one and there is a match with record for a Barbara Conroy travelling to Boston in 22 Apr 1934  - ship name looks like Britanic or Britania - stating that she had lived in South Boston and was returning to 6 National Street South Boston Mass also gave her contact in Ireland as her father Tom Conroy Salalel Rosmuc Galway. I coulnd't find a record of a Salalel townland but it may be avery local name
You can see from the census that Barbara's father Tom was married c. 1905 and his parents c. 1866 so if you search for marriage certs on the Irish civil registration Index on www.familysearch.com you may be able to order the marriage certs.

Hope this is of help
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 22:58 GMT (UK) »
That's great annclare  :)

it was difficult to match up with the census- having no ages etc and I was thinking that they were older. ::)

heywood

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Heywood I just searched for Dudley Conroy as I suspect it is a rare name.
Also a possible marriage for Thomas Conroy Oughterard Registration District -Year 1905 and quarter Jul Sep Vol 4 p 151- Unfortunately there are three brides with forename Mary with same reference -Mary McDonagh Mary Nee and Mary Loughlin. You would have to get a copy of the cert to check it out. Also saw Salalee on a google map it is just north of Rossmuc.

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 23:30 GMT (UK) »
So did I  - but I looked at the Dudleys, Barbaras and Colmans- all  in Rosmuck and tried and failed to match them ;D
I suppose that is why Tom had the nicknames!