Author Topic: Elizabeth Roylance Child  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Roylance Child
« on: Tuesday 26 February 13 23:53 GMT (UK) »
I've just bought a beautiful handwritten cookery book that this lady wrote in 1829 and I'm curious to find out more about her. I know from the book that her full name was Elizabeth Roylance Child and in 1829 she was unmarried and living at Holes Hall. The book was a wedding present for someone called Agnes.

Her parents were Baddeley Child and Catherine Child nee Ford. Baddeley was born, in 1776 or 1786, in Staffs to Smith Child and Margaret Child nee Roylance. He married Catherine Ford on 3rd April 1807 in St Giles Church in Newcastle under Lyme and died on 17.09.1850 at Barlaston. Their son, Smith, was born 13th Feb 1808 and christened at St Giles in Newcastle under Lyme. They had a daughter, Margaret, christened on 29th November 1809 at St Mary's Lambeth (then in Surrey) and Elizabeth Roylance was christened on 4th December 1811 also at St Mary's in Lambeth.

Elizabeth married John James Blunt at Barlaston on 14th June 1836 and it looks as though she died in Cambridge in April 1841 when she was still only 29 years old.

(I'm a bit confused about Baddeley as there appear to be 2 records, but with birthdates 10 years apart. I found a record of the marriage to Catherine where both of them are recorded as being 21 years old, which suggests the 1786 birthdate is correct. The 1841 census however lists a Baddeley living in Barlaston aged 65, "Independent" which ties in with 1776.)

Was there a Holes Hall anywhere in the Barlaston area? And can anyone give me any more information about the family please? I'd be very interested in finding out more about them and also if there were any relatives called Agnes.

Thanks to anyone who can throw any light on Elizabeth and her family for me.
Dickinson, Forster, Crisp, Davy, Sankey, Herdman, Watts, Elder, Seaton Sluice

Vezey, London

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Roylance Child
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Three in Poll books for Totmonslow South Cheadle

Baddeley/ Smith & Roylance Child there is mention on the same page as near Hales Hall!!!

1848 Poll Book Roylance Child - King Street Newcastle  - freehold Pot works and land

On -line tree gives a daughter Catherine to Elizabeth born 1840 Cambridge.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Wow, that was quick! Thank you.

Yes, it could easily be Hales Hall. It was one of the possibilities I tried on Google maps, but drew a blank.

There's a Roylance Child aged 81, living in Audley on the 1851 census, so born circa 1770. What's the betting he's a brother of Baddeley's.

Where's the online tree please?

Vezey, London

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 01:08 GMT (UK) »
I've now identified Hales Hall! It's in Cheadle and was built in 1712 for the Hales family. I've got an 1805 "Traveller's Guide" here (I love my antiquarian books!) where it also has a mention. It was owned then by N Kirkman Esq. so it appears the Child Family weren't actually the owners.

By the way it seems to have been on the market recently!

Vezey, London

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at the Photographs of Tunstall Staffs   thornber.net/staffs

This gives a good outline of the Baddeley/Child family tree's, it seems they were in the area for over four hundren years.

I am looking for where I found the information about Elizabeth's daughter, I will get back to you when I find it again!

Jennifer

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 21:17 GMT (UK) »
That's brilliant, I'd never have found it left to myself. Thank you so much! I'll print a copy of the family tree so I can keep it with the book. I really enjoy finding out more about the previous owners, or, in this case, the writer of my old books. Even better when the family's as interesting as this one.

I was doing a bit more delving myself this afternoon, Smith Child and Margaret nee Roylance had a very big family, but I couldn't work out if it was their son or their grandson who went into the church. Now I know it was the grandson! It's also confirmed that Elizabeth's husband was a churchman too, which could explain why they were living in Cambridge in 1840. (I'm guessing he may have had a post at the University.)

Not an Agnes to be seen unfortunately, but she may not have been a relative of course.

Thanks again!

Vezey, London

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 21:53 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census 1 Belvior Place Cambridge
John Blunt 56 Widower Prof. Of Theory? BD born Cumberland (Seems born Newcastle)
Margaret 11 dau scholar at home Born Gt.Oakley Essex (John was rector until 1839)
Catherine 10 dau    "      "     "  born Cambridge

1861 cenaua
Both girls daughters of clergyman are visitors at a vicarage aged 21 & 20 Margaret Child their aunt is also with them
Harriet Blunt wid is also there seems John married again from a local family in Uttoxeter Mar qtr 1852 Harriet Sneyd Kynnersley.
John died 17/6/1855 in Cambridge.

I think Catherine Blunt married in to another church family 11/10/1871 Edward Albert Ollivant at St.Oswalds Derbyshire. He died in Sussex 1915.

Jennifer

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Blunt married Richard Henry Jelf (Army man) 1869 Ashbourne Derbyshire

1891 she is living in Portsmouth with her family and Margaret Child aunt aged 81.

census says she had 6 children 5 living.

Jennifer

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 22:29 GMT (UK) »
If you type in Google books and then ask for Elizabeth Roylance Child entries, it will give you a lovely piece on John James Blunt and his two marriages. Also he was buried with Elizabeth. ( I am so pleased).

Jennifer