Author Topic: Elizabeth Roylance Child  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Roylance Child
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 23:43 GMT (UK) »
What an interesting man John Blunt sounds and yes, nice that he was buried next to Elizabeth and that their marriage must have been a very happy one. (Harriet too must have been a very understanding lady.) That article certainly explains a lot.

So there were 2 daughters. I see Catherine was born in Cambridge around 1841. I wonder if that explains Elizabeth's early death.

Thank you again for all your help, you've really brought the family back to life with what you've found. (They sound like they'd fit right into a Jane Austen novel!) I'll write it all down and keep it with the book.
Dickinson, Forster, Crisp, Davy, Sankey, Herdman, Watts, Elder, Seaton Sluice

Vezey, London

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 November 20 02:21 GMT (UK) »
How exciting to have the cookbook!
Here are the other children of Smith Child Sr  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01q2x/

Baddeley Child -baptism: 2 Jan 1774  f. ( Admiral) Smith Child  mother:  Margaret (nee Roylance)
  His father Smith Child (1730 – 1813) was an officer in the Royal Navy. He served in the Seven Years' War, the American Revolutionary War, and the French Revolutionary Wars, rising to the rank of admiral.   From the Admiral's mother, Mary Baddeley, the Child family inherited the estates of the
Baddeley family, which had lived at Tunstall for four hundred years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_Child_(Royal_Navy_officer)

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 November 20 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. It's a beautiful book and must have taken Elizabeth many hours of work.

I'm always interested in the previous owners of the books I buy and restore (my hobby is bookbinding), although it's rare that I have sufficient information to do any searching.  Rootschat has helped me out before and I do very much appreciate it. On one occasion it worked in reverse and I was able to pass on information as the original owners had used a very large early 19th century dictionary to list births and deaths in their family.

There's a newspaper cutting in the book, unfortunately the name and date of the newspaper are missing, all I know is that it postdates 1957, probably not by very much. Apparently at that time the book belonged to a family called Taylor who lived in Ashington Northumberland, but they knew nothing about the writer or Agnes (the original recipient), or how it came to be in their family.
Dickinson, Forster, Crisp, Davy, Sankey, Herdman, Watts, Elder, Seaton Sluice

Vezey, London

Offline pc99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 November 20 22:13 GMT (UK) »
If you google Admiral Smith Child you will see more interesting information.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 December 20 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Her daughter,  Margaret Blunt's husband Richard Henry Jelf was also the son of a reverend. 
They inherited a sixth share of the Mill Farm Estate (from her Grandfather Baddeley Smith)
  I had an interest in this lot, as I'd found an older publication with a claim for John James Blunts' ancestors to have also been a direct line ancestor of mine, which they are not...But the names Child & Smith, plus all the reverends, surely points to them as possibly having a connection somewhere along the roots of the family.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 December 20 04:10 GMT (UK) »
   Going to make a guess...Being that not many marriages took place in Staffs at that time. Could be way off base... and only the licence was in the correct year...But should anyone find a connection to this and a Taylor family, you never know.
     Mucklestone (Muckston) Turnstall  Barlaston  Ashley are all close to Hales Hall.

Agnes Harding - bapt: 22 February 1807 Ashley, Newcastle-Under-Lyme Borough, Staffordshire,
 Marriage: 7 Jan 1830 Ashley, St John the Baptist, Staffordshire, Eng.
 spouse  Rowland Heathcote  Residence: Maer?  Marriage Lic: 31 Dec 1829   Both age 21 
    father: Samuel Harding Esq.- mother: Ann (nee Hartshorne of Yoxall, Staffs.d.manor hall Yorks)
        married Ashbourne, Derbyshire, England
     Sam'l had a Meeting Place for Christian Worship - Willoughbridge Wells, Ashley
      -1852 was a land agent, surveyor, and valuer for Staffordshire, Derbyshire & Shropshire
        was churchwarden, then clerk to the Guardians of the Newcastle under Lyme Poor Law Union
      - 1852 son next door: Rev Thomas Hartshorne Harding , M.A., rector, Rectory
         His wife: Fanny/ Frances Heathcote
Her DEATH Mar 1899 (aged 91–92) East Bridgford, Rushcliffe Borough, Nottinghamshire, England
Her children Edward 1830, Rowland 1833, Godfrey 1835

Rowland Heathcote, later a.k.a. Heathcote-Hacker  b. Nov 13 1802 Chesterfield, Derbyshire
         of East Bridge Old hall  - Occupation: Land Agent.
         Of Manor Hall took name Hacker succeeded brother John at East Bridgeford who died 1870
  Parents: Reverend Edward Heathcote Jr. b.1766 East Bridgford, Derbyshire d.1844 Rose Hill,
        Chesterfield buried: East Bridgeford, Notts Marr. 1792 Jane Cock (1770-1809 leaving 9
        children) only child of John Cock Esq.
  GrParents: Reverend Edward Heathcote c.1726 Morton, Derbyshire (d.1801)  bur: East Bridgford
       Nottinghamshire Marr. Catherine Hacker dau of Robert Hacker Esq. East Bridgeford
        & Co- heiress to his estate.
  GrGrParents: Reverend Ralph Heathcote-rector of Morton/ Stavely b.1697- Derbyshire
       d.1765 Leicestershire Marr. Mary Ockley c.1698 Morton, Derby dau. of Rev. Simon Ockley

His uncle who has been mistaken for him in several genealogies:
Rowland Heathcote Hacker d.  ESQ lieutenant Colonel of the late newfoundland fencibles
 youngest son of the late Rev Edward Heathcote and Catherine his wife
https://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/east-bridgford/hmonumnt.php