Author Topic: John A Merrin born about 1837  (Read 18474 times)

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John A Merrin born about 1837
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 March 13 01:01 GMT (UK) »
I have seen on John Merrin's siblings, Michael and Eliza, Immigration Deposit Journal 1858, that they are shown to have been born at Saltmills, Fethard (short for Fethard-on-Sea) County Wexford.
A small write up about the place on Wikipedia.  Also they arrived on the ship "Golconda' and from the record, it seems that their parents were living at Saltmills

... there is a Marriage notice in the SMH 22 Apr 1868 page 11 O'CONNOR-LARKIN. ...... to Mary Ann Larkin, only daughter of Mr. Patrick Larkin, Leitrim, county Clare, Ireland.  Wonder if this was their cousin ?

Some great info posted by Nowel.   Bonnie
PS Rain has eased off a bit here in Glebe - how is it out your way?

Offline Feliss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 March 13 02:41 GMT (UK) »
Wow (again) - thanks Bonnie!

Can I ask where you found that info about the Immigration Deposit Journal?

Still pouring down here.

Felicity

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 March 13 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Felicity ... found the record of Michael & Eliza on a paid search sites that I am not allowed to mention on this site.  Will send you a PM soon.
Rain back big time here again in Glebe ... and it's hubby's night to cook dinner =  he needs to brave the elements and walk to the local take away for a Thai, Indian, Japanese etc.,  hey hey   Bonnie

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 March 13 23:12 GMT (UK) »
www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation

In 1853 there are only 4 entries for the surname MERRIN.  One being James Merrin in the townland of Saltmills, Parish Tintern Co Wexford . I saw that a previous post mentioned Saltmills as birthplace for Michael & Elizabeth Merrin :)

Offline G Tracey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 16 August 13 08:27 BST (UK) »
Just registered , chasing all about John Merrin , my maternal ggfather.
Intrigued reading and trying to make sense of info,eg cannot find record of burial place of his spouse M ray Catherine Nee Kavanagh D 22-12-1903 in Port
Macquarie .
My ggfather William Joseph merrin ,married to Lily Catherine
Robinson.
My mum Joan Yvonne Merrin etc.
Please correspond , Will try to assist with what I have....
gregT

Offline G Tracey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 August 13 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi all , on shipping record for John merrin , birthplace to given as Tintern  Wexford , this fits with one of the posts.
Waiting more info from posts.
GregT

Offline Feliss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 16 August 13 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Greg,

I guess we're distant cousins!

The eldest daughter of John A Merrin and Catherine Kavanagh, Mary Ann, married a fellow called Hugh Ridgeway Bridson. Hugh's father was the Police Magistrate in Sofala and Mary Ann's father was Senior Constable so I'm assuming the couple met in Sofala.

Hugh and Mary Ann married in Sydney in 1883 but by 1884 were living in Port Macquarie where Hugh was an auctioneer. I think the family was reasonably well-to-do and well-regarded in the area. They eventually ended up in Manly in Sydney but were still in Port Macquarie in 1903 when Mary Ann's mother, Catherine, died. I assume she was visiting them and became ill because, as you say, she died in Port Macquarie and is buried there.

As a side note, poor Mary Ann had a tough time in later years. Her husband and at least four of her five sons enlisted in WWI and two sons were killed.

I am descended from John and Catherine's youngest son, Charles Michael Andrew Merrin.

Felicity

Offline G Tracey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 17 August 13 01:14 BST (UK) »
Hi felicity, I am descended from William Joseph merrin , son of John and Catherine , who we'd lily catherine Robinson ; their daughter , Joan Yvonne was my mum.
I have been trying to find details of Mary Catherine's death , 22-12-1903 in port Macquarie , do you have any further info , gravestone etc.burial place.
I am sure I have seen Minnie Bridson name in some of my correspondence from 80s.
Weather in Orange foul today , hope Ok at your place.
Ps johns guarantor was Patrick Larkin of Bathurst , there are still larkins in Bathurst phone book,may chase that way sometime.
I look forward to clarifying the merrin line , anything I have I can let you have
Regards Gregtracey
PSPardon one finger typing , and lack of computer skill. This is first posting effort ever......

Offline Feliss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 17 August 13 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Greg,

Not sure where Catherine Mary is buried however I have this via trove from The Port Macquarie News and Hastings River Advocate of 26 December 1903:

"Obituary.
We are sorry this week to have to record the death of Mrs. Merrin, mother of Mrs. H. R. Bridson, which occurred at her daughter's residence at Port Macquarie, on Tuesday night last. The deceased lady, who leaves a large family of sons and daughters to mourn her loss, had been in delicate health for some time past, suffering from an affection of the heart. She came to Port Macquarie about two months ago for the benefit of her health but, owing to the sea trip then experienced, she became somewhat prostrated, and was almost immediately confined to her bed. Dr. Dudney's services were sought, and all that kind hands and loving hearts could do was done for the sufferer. This, however, proved of no avail, and the patient gradually sank. We extend to the bereaved family our sincere sympathy in their sad loss. The funeral took place on Wednesday afternoon, the Rev. P. M. Ryan performing the last sad rites."

I'm not sure if the doctor's name is correct as it was hard to read.

You can read the original entry at http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/104761287?searchTerm=%20merrin%20%22port%20macquarie%22&searchLimits=#pstart11808871