Author Topic: John A Merrin born about 1837  (Read 18477 times)

Offline Feliss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John A Merrin born about 1837
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 17 August 13 02:19 BST (UK) »
Greg,

I can't be sure but I believe this is a photo of John Merrin and his wife Catherine.

Felicity

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 17 August 13 03:22 BST (UK) »
Felicity ... what a terrific photo.  Can I make a suggestion that you post it on the 'Photograph Restoration and Dating" Topic and see if someone can make the image a bit clearer; looks to me that John is wearing some sort of military jacket ... maybe police?

Offline Feliss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 17 August 13 08:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, I did do that some time ago. That's how I was able to establish that it was most probably a photo of John and Catherine.

The photo was among my great-grandmother's stuff but there was nothing to say who the people are. I knew it had to be her parents or her husband's parents and a very knowledgeable rootschatter pointed out the military-type jacket so I'm guessing it's John and Catherine, given that John was a policeman. Do you know the story about how John joined the NSW police force?

Felicity

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 17 August 13 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Felicity ... saw your first posting why John Merrin came to Australia and joined the Police Force .. what an amazing man he was and going from his looks in the photo, he must have been well over 6 feet tall and a person to be reckoned with ...

Offline G Tracey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi all , we'll from all available info it seems certain that JohnMerrin was born at Saltmills ,Fethard on sea , Parish Tintern !County Wexford .
I will try to do my bit regarding searching for , birth/baptism in that locality.
Hope to hear more from you about other Merrin info.
Regards Greg Tracey.

Offline Feliss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 07 May 16 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Greg,

It's been several years since I've posted but hope you might see this.

This is a page I've written about the Merrin family:

http://branchesofmyfamilytree.weebly.com/merrin-family.html

It's not finished but I now have death certificates for John A Merrin and his wife, Mary Catherine, who was known as Catherine. I also have their marriage certificate.

I am planning a trip to Ireland next year and will be visiting the Saltmills and Fethard areas.

I'm interested in how you know Patrick Larkin was John Merrin's guarantor.

Felicity

Offline G Tracey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 08 May 16 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Feliss. Have to get out a few bits of notes and will answer your questions in nxt few days. Have been thinking of an Ireland trip , but you msay be able to sort that end for me, hopefully.
I haven't been to rookwood to see grave , tks for fotos. Still trying , after years , to sort out mechanics of rootschat site..bear with me.. GregT.

Offline G Tracey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 26 January 17 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Very belated reply , both Eliza and Michael Merrin came to aystralia on Golconda , both listed as 17yo , twins or cousins ? I thought Feliss was looking to visit Ireland  late last year .. I am no good at this computer stuff , anyway , here goes , I wait a reply....

Offline G Tracey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 26 January 17 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Me again , I have , on reflection , two mentions of Patrick Larkin sponsoring Michael and Eliza. Michael died at 22yo , in Dubbo , as a mounted trooper. Witness at burial , John welfare , publican.... John also reported his death at "the land we live in " Fitzroy St Dubbo ... After a lot of looking , found pub of that name in Sofala Nsw , a fair way from Dubbo in those days.......but no record of a pub of that name in Dubbo , incidentally , courthouse and police station in Fitzroy st..
I am now finally retired , will try to make sense of a few things in the next few months , Michael is peripheral , but intriguing .let me know how you got on in Ireland , if you travelled there. Regards GregT.