Author Topic: On This Day in MARCH ... our ancestral BMDs.  (Read 41081 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in March ... Please join in with your ancestral BMDs.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 March 13 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Here's my final one today.

William Dameron my 11 x g.grandfather was buried in Westerfield, Suffolk in 1558. Unfortunately, I have no idea who is wife, my 11 x g.grandmother was.  Even in his will, he only calls her “my wife” and doesn’t even mention her until he’s mentioned the bequests to his daughters, his sons, his grandchildren and godchildren, apart from a small mention under the bequest to one of his sons where he states he bequests, after the death of his wife, the bedstead with the posts and tester to the son.

He obviously didn’t think much of her (or it seems women in general), he even says that if she marries again, she won’t get anything (that is usual in wills at the time) but also makes the point that she mustn’t meddle with the house.  Also if she declines what he condescends to give her in the will, which is basically that she can live in about 3 rooms in the house until her death, he will halve the amount of money he was leaving to his daughters. He bequeathed £100 each to his 3 daughters, £40 on their marriage and £20 annually until £100 paid, but if they marry all within one year that then they shall have but £20 a piece paid them at their marriage, and so forth £20 a year till the £100 be paid.

Apart from saying his wife can remain in the house, he doesn’t actually leave her anything, but states that she should have £20 a year, but £10/year has to come from one of his sons lands, £8/year from another son’s land and £4/year to come out of the land he willed should be sold.  He did however transfer the Manor at Westerfield to his eldest son John, my 10 x g.grandfather, which he acquired from an Anthony Bedingfield and others.  There is a document regarding this in the National Archives.  As William Dameron was church warden and a yeoman, it seems incredible that he somehow accumulated enough money to buy a Manor House and leave fairly substantial donations to his children.

He also gave to whichever poor his executors thought most fitted the description £20 at his burial and within one year after.

Only after all that, did he mention his wife’s demeaning bequest!

It's said that Shakespeare's widow would automatically be entitled to one third of her husband's estate but to be given a 2nd best bed was a demeaning bequest, but even allowing for that it is highly unusual for a spouse to be included so tersely as an afterthought.  My 11 x g.grandfather obviously set a precedent. :o

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 March 13 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie, it's on my list of 'to do' next time I am in Scotland. Given the late birth, post natal depression were my thoughts too. I also wondered if in the eleven years between Janet and Jennie's births, she had perhaps lost some due to miscarriages.

Can you not just send an e-mail to the appropriate authority?

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 March 13 12:18 GMT (UK) »
This along with several other searches is one I am saving for a day in the archives Lizzie.

By the way the 'Shakespeare's bed' conundrum, it has been suggested that the marital bed was the second best bed, the best one being reserved for guests. Though it's true he left most of his wealth to his favourite daughter Susanna.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 March 13 13:32 GMT (UK) »
(Just book-marking, so I don't miss any !)
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in MARCH ... our ancestral BMDs.
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 March 13 14:51 GMT (UK) »
This along with several other searches is one I am saving for a day in the archives Lizzie.

By the way the 'Shakespeare's bed' conundrum, it has been suggested that the marital bed was the second best bed, the best one being reserved for guests. Though it's true he left most of his wealth to his favourite daughter Susanna.

My 11 x g.grandmother didn't get either the best bed, that went to the 2nd son, or the 2nd best bed which went to the 1st son!  For a church warden, my 11 x g.grandfather was not very charitable.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 March 13 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Philologus Collett my 7 x g.g.uncle was born in Westerfield, Suffolk in 1624/25.  His eldest sister Bridget, although remaining single, became very wealthy, leaving the bulk of her estate, including the rents from various cottages in Suffolk, to be used to establish the first school at Westerfield for the poor children of the village.  There is now a charitable Trust which assists children and young people with their educational needs such as the cost of books for further studies.  The eldest surviving brother Samuel was responsible for the building of Westerfield Hall and received a Grant of Arms during the Suffolk Visitation in 1664.  Whilst Philologus’s brother Henry, my 7 x g.grandfather seems to have led an average life.  ;D Philologus was the g.uncle of another Philologus Collett, my 5 x g.uncle who was baptised on 1 March, so shown yesterday.

Joseph Gaunt my 3 x g.g.uncle was baptised in Denby, Yorkshire in 1760.  His father was a cordwainer, but Joseph became as farmer as did his eldest son.

Edith Collett my 8 x g.g.aunt was baptised in Westerfield, Suffolk in 1588/89.  Interestingly her father, in his will, made his other surviving daughter the executor (ignoring his sons) and only his wife, two daughters and one of his sons were beneficiaries under the terms of the will.  This was probably because his other two sons had been bequeathed properties and lands by their maternal grandfather.  Edith was an aunt of Philologus Collett my 7 x g.g.uncle above.

Thomas Harper my husband’s 3 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Nicholas Church, Liverpool in 1794.  Nothing else is known about him apart from his date of marriage and the name of his wife.

Henry Skelton my 5 x g.g.uncle was baptised in Holme Cultram, Cumberland in 1755.  All I know about him is that his grandfather was a Yeoman and he was the youngest brother of my 5 x g.grandmother.

Grace Baildon (nee Twiddall)  my 6 x g.grandmother was buried at Almondbury, Yorkshire in 1738/9.  She married aged 16 and had her first child just over 2 months later.  So far I’ve only found 5 children born to Grace and her husband my 6 x g.grandfather, and the youngest one was born and died without being named or even being called just boy or girl.  My 5 x g.grandfather was their only son.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 March 13 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Amy Holmes died today in Sydney New South Wales Australia in 1929 aged only 47
She had been born in Armidale NSW to George Whateley Holmes and Mary Jane nee Doak

She had been living in Croydon NSW and was a dentist's assistant, she never married
She was buried in Rookwood Cemetery

She was my paternal grandmother's cousin
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline CV-S

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 March 13 12:52 GMT (UK) »
2 March 1813
My 5xgreat-grandmother, Johanna Pieterse, was born in Zierikzee, Zeeland. Her parents were Elias Pieterse, an innkeeper and coast guard, and Johanna Mens, who took over the inn after Elias died in 1825. Johanna Pieterse married Hendrik Blok, a shoemaker, and they had seven children before moving to Amsterdam in around 1855. Johanna died there on 22 July 1857, aged just 44. Hendrik remarried twice and died in 1880.

2 March 1855
Jan Stevensen Kieft, my 5xgreat-grandfather, died in Nijkerk, Gelderland aged 69. He had lived in the surrounding villages of Nijkerk all his life, working on farms. He married Jannetje Hannissen Haverkamp in 1819 and they had eleven children. Jannetje died less than a year before Jan. His military description has him at 5.5 feet, with dark brown hair and blue eyes.

Jan was the father of:

2 March 1872
Hendrika Kieft, my 4xgreat-grandmother, died in Putten, Gelderland aged just 32. She was a farmer's wife and had four children. She died 37 days after her husband, and their children were placed into Putten orphanage. Thankfully, they were later raised by Hendrika's sister and her brother-in-law.

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 March 13 20:02 GMT (UK) »
2nd March 1836 - my great-grandfather, William Pay was born, the ninth child of a farm labourer in East Kent. He joined the Royal Navy at 17 and served for 20 years, retiring with the petty officer title of Admiral's Coxswain.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire