Author Topic: On This Day in MARCH ... our ancestral BMDs.  (Read 40982 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
On This Day in MARCH ... our ancestral BMDs.
« on: Thursday 28 February 13 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Lydart has just reminded me that a new month is upon us so, from tomorrow, 1st March, this is the thread for all your family anniversaries and stories.

Several of us have been joining in for the past few months. It gives us a chance to remember our  family members and to tell what we know about them but it has also given some of us the push we needed to dig a little deeper, to send for that certificate we've been meaning to buy but kept putting off and to do some tidying up of our records.

Everyone is welcome so we look forward to hearing your March stories. :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline CV-S

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day - in March. Please join in with your ancestral BMDs.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 March 13 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for starting this genjen  :) Being Australian it's afternoon here whilst I'd guess most others would be getting up soon.

1 March 1810
My 5xgreat-grandmother, Hendrika Keller, was born in Vollenhove, Overijssel. Her parents were farmers in the area. Hendrika married a farmer, Peter van Eerde, in 1833, at which time she was working as a maid. They had six children before Hendrika died on 7 January 1846, aged only 35. Peter remarried and had further children, before dying in 1883.

1 March 1912
My 3xgreat-grandfather, Cornelius Reemer, died following a long illness at his daughter's residence in Haarlem, aged 81. Cornelius was born in Antwerp, Belgium on 17 September 1830. His unmarried mother was Dutch and I hypothesise she crossed the border because of the illegitimacy (she herself was the illegitimate daughter of a knighted Rear Admiral). Shortly after the birth they moved back to her home town of Den Helder. After stints in Heemstede and Utrecht, they settled in Haarlem, where Cornelius married Johanna van den Eijkhoff in 1866. They had seven children, but only 3 survived. Cornelius worked as a labourer as a younger man and later as a gravedigger, before retiring in 1905. He then lived with his daughter Hendrika and her husband Johannes (Johanna had died in 1899) at Jan Steenstraat 55, Haarlem, where he died.

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in March ... Please join in with your ancestral BMDs.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 March 13 08:20 GMT (UK) »
I haven't been contributing many as i'm still in the process of putting all the information I have into a computer programme, however it is my sister in laws birthday today. Happy birthday to her.
Hopefully this thread will continue next year, by which time I might have entered all the info i've got and i can clear the spare bed of piles of papers!  ;D
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 March 13 08:57 GMT (UK) »
I haven't been contributing many as i'm still in the process of putting all the information I have into a computer programme, however it is my sister in laws birthday today. Happy birthday to her.
Hopefully this thread will continue next year, by which time I might have entered all the info i've got and i can clear the spare bed of piles of papers!  ;D

Firstly, your sister is important and deserves to be mentioned here every bit as much as the ancestors, so Happy Birthday to her. Secondy, I hope this will carry on into next year because I keep adding to my tree and some people have been missed out already! I shall do my best.

Today I have:

1757, Mary Favell, a 6 x great-aunt was baptised in Spennithorne, daughter of Edmund Favell and Mary Pratt, sister of Henry Favell who was my direct ancestor.

1804 Martha Iley, 4 x great-aunt was baptised at High Worsall, Yarm, daughter of Matthew Iley and Mary Kendrew.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 March 13 11:20 GMT (UK) »
On March 1st 1903 my great great grandmother Janet Brown died in Larbert Lunatic Asylum, Stirling. Why she was there, I have yet to find out. I am told it could, despite the asylum's title, be depression or an illness the family couldn't cope with. She is certainly missing from the family home in 1901.
Even Janet's birth is a bit of a mystery. She was born about 1846 in Bo'ness, the 5th child of Walter Brown and Margaret Dunlop. From census returns and her death certificate I know these were her parents. However even though I have the births of all her siblings John, Archibald, Agnes, Robert and Walter, Janet's is missing.
She married my great great grandfather Peter Wardlaw in 1864 when she was 6 months pregnant with my great grandfather, George. Between then and 1875 she had George, Margaret, Walter, Peter, John and Janet. Eleven years later in 1886 at the age of 42 she had her last child Jennie, who was home with her father Peter on the 1901 census. I am thinking perhaps Janet was by then already in the asylum.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 March 13 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps your g.g.gran had post natal depression and kept going in and out of the asylum, which is how she came to have another child sometime after the others.  Perhaps this last one tipped the post natal depression into some kind of full blown depression.  Have you tried to get the asylum records?  They might still be available and as 100 years has passed since her death, there's no excuse not to let you have them (or maybe Scottish records are different to English ones).

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 March 13 11:37 GMT (UK) »
I've a few today, but one of them will have to have a piece of his own, so here are the others

Philologus Collett my 5 x g.g.uncle was baptised in Eye, Suffolk in 1706/7

Isabell Chambelaine my 20 x g.grandmother was baptised in Morton by Bourne, Lincolnshire on 1 March 1561.  She married aged 17 and had at least 12 children over 20 years.  The 10th became  my 9 x g.grandmother.

Charles Albert Heaton my husband’s g.uncle was baptised at St Luke’s Church, Chelsea in  1840

Elizabeth Day my 3 x g.g.aunt was baptised at St Peter & St Paul, Belton by Grantham, Lincolnshire in 1788.  There was another daughter called Elizabeth baptised in 1785, I presume she must have died.  Following the first Elizabeth, a daughter called Ann was born in February 1787 and died on 9 April 1788, when the 2nd Elizabeth was only 3 months old, about 5 weeks after Elizabeth’s baptism.  The poor mother had already lost her first child aged 5 in 1785. 

John Thomas Brand my g.g.uncle died in Manchester in 1899 aged 40.  He was the g.grandson of Charles Gilchrist below.  I don’t know the cause of death, his is just one on a list of many certs to purchase eventually.

Charles Gilchrist my 4 x g.grandfather died in Boston, Lincolnshire in 1829.  He came to England as a member of a troop of the Fifeshire Cavalry a Fencible unit. He was born about 1770 in Scotland, but I can’t confirm his birth.  I found a probable one on Scotland’s People, but the only link is that both Charles and the father of the child on the baptism record were gardeners and the mother’s unusual maiden name (at least in England) was given to some of Charles descendants as a middle name.

William Benson my 4 x g.grandfather was buried at St Cuthbert’s Church, Aldingham, Lancashire in 1837.  Unfortunately, just a few months too soon to have a death certificate with a cause of death shown.  William was a weaver when he married  but whether he stayed with that profession or not I don’t know.  Certainly his eldest son, my 3 x g.grandfather was a farmer.

And most importantly Adam one of my grandson’s was born this day 1997.  Happy 16th birthday Adam.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 March 13 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie, it's on my list of 'to do' next time I am in Scotland. Given the late birth, post natal depression were my thoughts too. I also wondered if in the eleven years between Janet and Jennie's births, she had perhaps lost some due to miscarriages.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 March 13 11:49 GMT (UK) »
No ancestors today, but it is my great nephew's 10th birthday, so it's off to a party later this afternoon with pizza, chips and garlic bread, followed by cake. That's the diet blown for today.  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk