Author Topic: William Johnston of Ireby  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Paul Johnson of Hartlepool UK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Support Hartlepool. Hang all French spies!
    • View Profile
William Johnston of Ireby
« on: Friday 01 March 13 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone help me to locate the death of William Johnston born circa 1778 in Wigton, Cumberland. He married Mary Dalton in Bromfield, Wigton in 1795 and was living in Ireby between 1795 and 1806 where his children were born. His son George's marriage certificate states that his father was a Shoemaker.
I have found him and Mary in the 1851 census still living in Ireby which states his occupation as 'Pauper late Shoemaker.' Unfortunately I have not been able to find a death for him even though Ireby only had a population of around 500 people. There are many deaths for William Johnstons' in Wigton, but that is a common name, so that is not surprising.

Many thanks,

Paul
Surnames:- Johnson, Dawkins, Crutchley, Tiplady, Cranney, Laybourn, Rough.

Areas:- Hartlepool, Cleveland, Co. Durham, Cumberland, Westmoreland, Yorkshire, Bedfordshire

Online warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: William Johnston of Ireby
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 March 13 00:21 GMT (UK) »
When did George marry and was William shown as deceased?familysearch.org has deaths 1850-1860,process of elimination.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Paul Johnson of Hartlepool UK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Support Hartlepool. Hang all French spies!
    • View Profile
Re: William Johnston of Ireby
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 March 13 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi warncoort,

George had left home and moved out of the county when he got married after the census in June 1851. His marriage certificate does not state if his father was deceased, but I very  much doubt it as his father appears in the 1851 census which was in April.
Surnames:- Johnson, Dawkins, Crutchley, Tiplady, Cranney, Laybourn, Rough.

Areas:- Hartlepool, Cleveland, Co. Durham, Cumberland, Westmoreland, Yorkshire, Bedfordshire