Author Topic: Eleanor MURRAY  (Read 4535 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Eleanor MURRAY
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 April 16 23:38 BST (UK) »
Following on from Ernest Henry OUDAILLE's marriage in NZ and the news that he was to live in Western Australia ...

Here is a letter from E. H. OUDAILLE, former resident of Perth, now living in Shanghai, describing some of the conditions for employment etc
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article3204345

regards,
   Ros

And here Mr E. H. OUDAILLE gives away a bride (Miss F. A. BARROW) in Singapore - he accompanied her from Australia.  Very colourful description  :) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article67035098
and http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article3201422
And a pre-wedding/farewell party http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article3218619
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Brigit Bowron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 July 18 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Rita

I hope this finds you well.

Meree and I are still on the trail of our GG Grandmother Eleanor Murray - I wonder if you will be able to dig out your research and let us know any details you have of her birth/family in Ireland.  She is proving very elusive.

Kind Regards

Brigit

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 July 18 12:27 BST (UK) »
Seeking info on Eleanor Murray sometimes called Ellen born 1831 in Cork Ireland she went to Australia and in 1855 married Francis Charles Oudallie they move to New Zealand in 1862
Rita

The NSW marriage certificate would probably have scant information as it appears to be a Parish record.  Civil registration commenced in 1856 in NSW.

Francis and Ellen had children in Victoria - information on the birth certificates would include parents' names, their ages at time of the registration, places of birth and date and place of marriage as well as previous children to the marriage. 

Births
OUDALLE Francis Adolphe
Father Francis   Mother Ellen MURRAY
At Spring Creek  1855  Reg#11389

OUDAILLE Male
Father Francis  Mother Ellen MURRAY
At Yackandandah  1857  Reg#7985   

OUDAILLE Ernest Patrick
At Yackandandah  1859  Reg#21971

Death
OUDAILLE Francis Adolphe
1857   Born Victoria  20 Months  Reg#3948

I've attached a snip which states she was born Perthshire, Scotland  Apologies for the size of the snip.  You need to zoom in.

OUDAILLE Francis.
Gazetted Victorian Government Gazette  14 May 1861  Pge#949
Comment: Gazette item sub title heading: Outstanding Accounts

OUDAILLE Francis.
Gazetted Victorian Government Gazette  14 Jun 1861  Pge#1150
Comment: Gazette item sub title heading: Outstanding Accounts

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brigit Bowron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 July 18 06:07 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for your reply.  Another family member has also been researching Eleanor/Ellen.  She discovered the Minister was later found guilty of accepting money to marry people that did not have the proper documentation.  In this case we think Francis Oudaille was not old enough to marry but the Minister found a way around this and married them anyway.  We also know that Francis later claimed to be a native of Jersey but in fact was born in Paris.  We suspect that if Francis was claiming to be someone he wasnt then Ellen may also have changed her story, it would have been more a better look to be Scottish rather than an Irish orphan/convict which may have been the true story.  Rita started this thread several years ago and I am hoping she can shed some light on this issue.  Kind Regards  Brigit

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 July 18 07:22 BST (UK) »
Says he was born Paris, France.  Minister not involved with a civil registration unless it is a marriage.  Information would have been given to the local bdm registrar.

Rita was logged in yesterday.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 July 18 07:33 BST (UK) »
I wonder if any of the people searching the origins of the wife of Francis OUDALLIE have persuasive documentation to support an Irish birth for her.

I find it hard to believe one would say Perthshire Scotland when the true birthplace was Ireland.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brigit Bowron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 July 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies...

Ellen wrote on several documents that she was from Scotland, its possible this was the case.  However  my cousin recalls her mother and her mothers siblings (who would have been Ellens grandchildren) stating that Ellen was Irish.  She was also a member of the Otago Irish Society.  It seems odd that she would join this if she had Scottish ancestry.  The reason for me posting on this thread was that Rita who started the thread mentioned that Ellen was from Cork, hence my post.

I would love to solve this mystery.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 July 18 09:26 BST (UK) »
Presumably, the parents of Ellen are not shown on any documentation including the 1899 printout of her death. Is that correct?

As has been mentioned by Ros,, information on the the parents of a couple of possible  girls is shown on the Irish Famine Memorial database.
Does anything match what you have?

As also mentioned, birth certificates for her children should show the mother's birthplace.
(Immediate download on payment).
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brigit Bowron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 July 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Correct, there is nothing on Ellens death printout that gives any clue to her origins and it is also true that this shows on at least one of the childrens birth certificates.

Ros is correct, there are a couple of Ellen Murrays on the Irish Famine Memorial database, it is possible that one of these could be our Ellen but we dont have many clues. 

Rita seems to think that she may have originated in Cork and it would be really useful if we could discover what basis she has for this so we can either have proof or discount this option.

Brigit