Author Topic: 10 Pounds to go to australia  (Read 6118 times)

Offline blue000125

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
10 Pounds to go to australia
« on: Tuesday 05 March 13 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know were i can get the list of names of the people who went to Australia in teh 1960s and the 1970s for ten pounds. Or did anyone ever hear of this sceme or is there a way to track these people down

Offline kinsey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Pounds to go to australia
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have you searched the Australian collection?

http://naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx

Kinsey

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 04:36 GMT (UK) »
Ten Pound Poms  ;D

I think around 1,000,000 emigrated from Britain to Australia....   "Populate or Perish" was the catch-cry ...

http://museumvictoria.com.au/immigrationmuseum/discoverycentre/your-questions/ten-pound-poms/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Pound_Poms

British Subjects aged 21 and over were eligible to enrol to vote in local, state and federal elections without becoming Australian citizens provided they were "Permanent Residents".    This changed to 18 and under in around 1972/3 and then from  Jan 1986 no one was eligible to enrol unless they were 18 and over AND were Australian Citizens (by birth or by naturalisation).  However, those British Subjects who were not yet Australian Citizens BUT were already enrolled, were able to continue to remain on the rolls.  There are many who still do, without taking the final step and becoming naturalised Australian Citizens.

Cheers,  JM   

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 06:18 GMT (UK) »
There wouldn't be a list of all £10 Poms would there majm?  :-\

If you are looking for anyone in particular you might find their immigration details at the appropriate State Archives, though I don't know if these are searchable like the older immigration records are - it may vary by State.

Depending on what you are trying to find out, they will probably appear on electoral rolls at some stage.

We've all heard of the scheme though.  :)

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Just a slight aside to this - we stayed at at B&b near Saffron Walden last year and the lady who runs it and her husband were £10 poms. They loved it but unfortunately after a few years had drought conditions which wiped out all their profits from their farm, so they decided to return to UK. Very reluctantly i think.
I don't know if she comes on this forum but she is into geneology, so she might be able to help.
Contact me by PM for her email address.
Jo
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 08:44 GMT (UK) »
I came to Australia in 1948 on a free passage as an ex-serviceman and became an Australian in 1986 and I cant understand why fellow Brits have not taken the final step ....... it bewilders me completely.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 09:40 GMT (UK) »
All immigration records post-WW2 (ish) are held at the National Archives of Australia, as previously mentioned :)

I don't think there is a "list" as such, but the immigration records usually show a good deal of information.  As I said on your other topic, many of these records are not yet indexed so it can be difficult to find them without knowing a date.  Have a read of the fact sheets here: http://naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/on-migration-citizenship/index.aspx

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I was at school with a boy who's family had been £10 Poms but returned to the UK. I seem to remember him telling me that on arrival they were in some sort of camp, soes this sound correct you Aussies.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth