Author Topic: Looking for info on Benton's and Benton Castle  (Read 6396 times)

Offline dmb1940

• RootsChat Extra
  • Willing to share info
    • View Profile
Looking for info on Benton's and Benton Castle
« on: Friday 09 July 04 04:56 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone can help me find my BENTON ancestors.  I know that my 3rd g-grandfather emigrated to the USA in 1837 on the GARRICK (Liverpool to New York) - but have been unable to learn his given name.  I know that there was a JOHN BENTON, who was born in 1801, aboard the same ship who is somehow related. 

Supposedly there is a link between  my ancestors and BENTON CASTLE (Llangwm, Pembrokeshire) -- Obviously, the name implies as much, though, how close a link, I have no idea

Can some kind soul  please help? (BTW I live in Florida, USA)

I'm hoping someone can provide me with a lead to tracking down these relatives.   

Thanks ever so much in advance.

dmb1940
England:
Benton in Willingham, Meaghan in Liverpool
Ireland:
Hanrahan, Bailey, Condon, Kelly, O'Connor, Walsh, Roddy, Reedy, O'Connell, Casey, Lonergan, Halligan, Doyle, Ryan, Furlong

USA:
above names plus - Powers, Wagner, Prewitt, Hahn, Carlson, Koll, Hurley, Toohey, Hamilton, and more

Offline shirleyannmarie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on Benton's and Benton Castle
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 December 04 23:49 GMT (UK) »
I found a Benton Castle in the parish of Burton, pembrokeshire wales, in the 1841 and 1861 census but found no Bentons either living in the castle or in the parish sorry
Orr,Reay,Burns,Mcmeekin,Henderson,Horgan-Ireland
Horgan,Morgans,Richards- Wales
Dale,Clark.Tattersfield-England

Offline JonLowther

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 08:46 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if you are still interested in Benton Castle since the last reply was Dec 2004.

I live a few miles from the castle in a place called Hook, although I don't know very much about it.  I've got some local history books so I'll take a look and see if there are any more details about the history of the place. I can also take a look in the local library the next time I am there.

Here's a link to a web site with some more details: http://www.acadat.com/HLC/milford/area/346.htm   or you can do a search on google and find more links.

Best regards,

Jonathan Lowther

Offline autumnbear

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 March 20 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if your still out there, but I am a Benton. I heard stories from relatives that sometime in the 20th century some people came to Evansville Indiana to purchase some land that belonged to a family member. They said it was a castle and was a queens summer home. I was also told that a great grandfather named John Benton came over on the ship Garrick. My father was Louis Matthew Benton, his brother was Oscar, his father was Francis or Frank Benton, his mother was named Anna, and dies shortly after giving birth to my dad. He was raised by his aunt with surname Rainey In Evansville. It was a Rainey who told me about the castle. I believe there was an Isaac Benton somewhere in there too. I hope this helps in some way and if you have found out anything I would like to know. We may be related! I live in Alabama.