Author Topic: FLETCHER (Of Glen Orchy) Y DNA  (Read 4832 times)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: FLETCHER (Of Glen Orchy) Y DNA
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 October 16 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hello fellow Fletchers! What a far flung clan we are. I am both a Scottish and Canadian Fletcher, having immigrated to Ontario, Canada as a child. As my original message stated, my father is the last Fletcher, living or dead, born in the traditional place of clan origin, Glen Orchy, Scotland. He knows the area extremely well and I have been there a few times myself. If anyone, plans to visit, we can give you detailed maps and tips about traveling around the area, It is wild country, isolated, mountainous and you would wonder how anyone would ever survive out there. The answer to that is cattle. The ground was good for grazing, and not much more, so the Fletchers became expert cattle breeders, dealers and drovers. You find hints of Fletcher existence in places like islands of Mull, Jura and Islay etc. and it was due to the cattle trade. Neil, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I contacted Dave Fletcher, as my father told me he had been in contact with some Montreal Fletchers, and Dave told me that you had already been in touch with him - I think that is correct? I figured Dave had put you on the right track. Wonderful to hear from all of you.
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline fletch52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 October 16 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine
I have a copy of your grandfathers birth certificate. All 3 of the boys, Norman, Sydney and Edward had their births registered on the same date, in 1904 at Port Melbourne, Victoria, even though their ages were 12, 6 and 4 at the time. Also James and Catherine were officially married in 1904 also in Melbourne. When my grandfather Norman was born in 1892, James Fletcher was only 17 while Catherine Harvey was 25, may have been a bit of scandel and why they moved from Riddells Creek and Norman was born in Dandenong. Gordon Edward Fletcher, born 7th September, 1900 at James Street, Guildford, Western Australia. I can send you a copy of the birth certificate if you wish, plus other stuff my might find interesting. I now live in Forster, NSW, semi retired
Regards
Neil

Offline fletch52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 October 16 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary
Yeah, Dave Fletcher has been a great help, put me on the right track. Had the DNA done and have been contacted from a descendant of Lt Col John Fletcher, who was born in Greenock, Scotland in 1815 and passed away in Montreal, Canada in 1902.  That descendant lives in Boston, USA.
Regards
Neil Fletcher

Offline drogord

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 November 18 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello folks - doing some family research and I found this group - LCol John Fletcher was my mother's great-great-grandfather.  His youngest son Gordon Campbell was her great-grandfather and Campbell Gordon was her Grandfather.

I received a few photos from my great-aunt who kept track of the family history over the years that may be of interest.

Offline PatrickFletcher

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 February 22 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi ... my name is Patrick Fletcher and I may have something to contribute to this subject.

I was one of the first members of the Fletcher DNA project more than 20 years ago, and I have proven that I am a direct descendant of Robert Fletcher of Concord, Mass. (1592-1677), both with documentation and with DNA.

Many have tried to decipher the next upward link in the ancestral chain, but have not been successful (although the Fletchers of Cumberland have now been conclusively excluded).  However, I recently took the Ancestry.com DNA test that shows 60% of my DNA is from Scotland (the remaining 40% being from England and Wales). This may help to narrow the search. I would love to compare my DNA results with some of the Mac-an-leistear Clan who are said to be the forefathers of the Anglicized Fletcher family.

Offline Killerbee1985

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 December 23 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,
My Ancestry has taken me to John 2nd of Invororan Fletcher as my 7th great grandfather. His daughter Florence being my 6th great grandmother and married to
My 6th great grandfather Donald McGilvray. My 2nd great grandparents Henry Clark and Mary Elizabeth Boyle came to America with their parents in the 1800s. I did my DNA on ancestry and I'm not sure if my bloodline is in yours.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 January 24 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Just for interest there is a small town in the south of NZ called Glenorchy. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenorchy,_New_Zealand

Clearly named for Glen Orchy.   :)