Author Topic: Where to find details on a marriage at Quebec Holy Trinity Anglican Cathedral  (Read 4175 times)

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hi,
  I found mention of my ggg grandparents' marriage in Quebec in 1857 on a site I had never heard of called http://www.mesaieux.com after googling their names (William Elliott Whitaker and Eleanor Gibson). I have never found this marriage anywhere else and I am really eager to find out Eleanor's parents' names.
I emailed the company to find out what information I would receive if I bought credits, and the reply was a bit confusing, in one email saying -
"Here is the information we have :
-Date, place, husband(parents) m bride (parents)"
but also saying it is not on the database yet as it had been selected by quality assurance control for checking. In a later email when I asked whether this meant I would not be able to buy credits and view this information they replied "It means exactly that. We do not have this information so we cannot help you."
It seemed a bit contradictory that they said they do have the information and then said that they don't. If they plan to add the record at a later date I don't know how I'd be able to tell because it already looks like it's on there, but they say it's not yet available. I would have to keep emailing them and asking if they've put it on yet.
But - they did give me some information further to what's on the site: the place of marriage (Quebec Holy Trinity Anglican) and the date  1857-01-12  (is this 12th Jan rather than 1st Dec?)
Anyway, I don't have a lot of experience researching in Canada, so does anyone have any ideas where else the details of this marriage might be located? I have contacted the church but not as yet received any reply.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Erin  :)

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

https://familysearch.org/
You have to browse through the pages one at a time to see the documents
go to Canada
Quebec Non Catholic Parish Registers 1763-1967 Browse Images
then to Quebec
Church of England in Canada Cathedral of the Holy Trinity
Baptisms, Marriages, Burials 1857-1878
Index image 9 of 955
W
Married Whitaker to Gibson page 4
Image 17 of 955
Whitaker to Gibson
As it is written
William Elliott Whitaker of the City of Quebec. Bachelor was married by Banns duly published to Eleanor Gibson of the same place. spinster this twelvth day of January in the year of our Lord One thousand and eight hundred and fifty seven.
by me
Henry Roe Cum???
Contracting Parties Present
William Elliott Whitaker
Eleanor Gibson her X mark
Thomas Gibson
Elenor Gibson X her mark

It doesn't state the relationship of Thomas and Elenor Gibson, nor does it give ages, etc.

Hope this helps in your search
Val

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thanks!  :D
 It never crossed my mind to look on that site after name searches wielded no results.
Do you think this is the same record that the site I contacted has, or could there be another record of the event that includes parents' names?

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The document is the original parish record for which the original image is provided. My understanding would be that the other website will only have access to the same records and there will not be another record with the parent's names. If Eleanor or William were b. in Quebec there would then be a baptism record with parents. All records w/b found in the Drouin Collection. This collection is also available through Ancestry. Your local public libary may have a subscription and thus provide access.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Where to find details on a marriage at Quebec Holy Trinity Anglican Cathedral
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 March 13 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in replying; I wrote out a long reply yesterday then then the computer crashed   :P It was so late by then I couldn't bring myself to write it out again!

Thanks for the reply polarbear. I was wondering whether there could be another record somewhere as the signatures are not original on the familysearch image; they're all of the same handwriting. 1857 is completely missing from the ancestry images for that church so I can't compare there.
 Unfortunately they were born in London, and I can't find a definite match for Eleanor in either births/baptisms or pre-marriage censuses using the details from her later censuses (supposedly born abt 1838 in Lambeth)

Thanks again

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where to find details on a marriage at Quebec Holy Trinity Anglican Cathedral
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 March 13 22:48 GMT (UK) »
If you read the information at the site that I gave, these are all written transcriptions as they were in the originals. I think they were transcribed in the 1920's or 30's. I don't think you will find any other info unless you can find a later registration of birth for one of their children. Do you know if they stayed in Canada or moved on? I haven't found any mention of them in census records before or after the marriage. Do you know if they were British military in Quebec at that time? If so, some records may be found at Find My Past. I do think this is all you will find on the marriage though.

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 March 13 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Valerie, sorry, I missed that. I wonder why that site suggested to me via email that they have details of both parties' parents. Perhaps they were assuming those details would be available without checking.
I know that William E Whitaker was in England in 1851 and in 1861 they were back in England with their daughter Eliza Mary Ann, for whom I have found a christening in Quebec in 1858. I have no idea about when Eleanor came to Canada. William was a gilder, so I don't know of a military connection.
 I know you can't assume anything in this game, but given the other signatures are Thomas and Eleanor Gibson, I am kind of looking at those names as potential parents, and have found nothing yet.
Thanks for taking the time to look for them. All your help is very much appreciated.
Kind Regards

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ah, I missed that bit of info too. Haven't come across this before.

In general, one would have parents listed for a Roman Catholic marriage in Quebec but not for a Protestant one (although you do find some occasionally for Protestant marriages). This makes it relatively easy to trace a Catholic family back for generations but no such luck for a Protestant one.

The word after Henry Roe in the record is Curate.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
I didn't find any record of Gibson's that I thought could be parents of Eleanor that is why I am thinking a military connection. There were British regiments stationed in Quebec at that time period so I am wondering if Eleanor's father may have been in one of the regiments. I would look at the possibility of Thomas and Elenor as her parents or at least Thomas as a brother. Naming patterns would usually have children named after parents and grandparents. You have the name of the daughter born in Quebec, did they haveother children. It is a long process but I would look at the names of Eleanor and William's children to see if that will give you a clue to their parents names.
Do you have the birth year of William as that may make it easier to locate him before the wedding in Canada?