Author Topic: William James, Thomas & Georgina Stevenson - How to prove related ?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William James, Thomas & Georgina Stevenson - How to prove related ?
« on: Friday 08 March 13 23:22 GMT (UK) »
In my research I have come across these three people who I believe are brothers and sister but am having trouble proving it. I have not found any baptisms for them.
1.William James is my great- grandfather and was born in about 1850. He moved to England in the early 1870's and on the 1881 census his place of birth says Kinnego Lurgan. His father was a Thomas Stevenson, farmer.
2.Georgina was born about 1854 and her father was also a Thomas Stevenson, farmer. On her marriage certificate it has Drumnakelly as her home. She married Halliday Gracey.
3.Thomas was born approximately 1847. He went on to Trinity and became a clergyman. His father is also Thomas Stevenson, farmer.
My grandfather told my mother he had an uncle that went to Trinity so although only a story this would fit.
I did employ a researcher a few years ago to try and find Thomas, the father and she did find one connected to Drumnakelly and Clanrolla but no definite proof this was him. She did find a marriage certificate for a Thomas Stevenson who was a widower and this had Drumnakelly as his residence.

I am hoping someone may be able to help me out on this issue. Any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William James, Thomas & Georgina Stevenson - How to prove related ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 March 13 07:09 GMT (UK) »
There is a will (actual image digitised online) on the PRONI website which I think you may find illuminating.

Administration (with the Will) of the personal estate of Elizabeth Stevenson late of Drumnakelly County Armagh Widow who died 5 May 1900 granted at Armagh to Georgina E. Gracey Widow.

Website here: http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 March 13 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Topic for Thomas Stevenson - Clergyman Roscrea, Bourney West on Tipperary board:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,638899

Good find, gaffy. Will certainly confirms William, Thomas and Georgina as siblings  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 March 13 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you both. After a very late night surfing the net it was exciting to get your response. The will looks great and certainly confirms they are siblings. I will have to resist spending the rest of Saturday on the computer. Lots of things to look at.
Aghadowey, thanks for putting the connection to the Tipperary board. I am pretty new to posting here so all the help is appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 March 13 10:22 GMT (UK) »
If you want to follow up with any queries about the Stevensons of Graceys in Armagh just add them to this thread  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 March 13 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Gaffy, thanks for the PM. Info really great. I have also looked at the will of Elizabeth Stevenson and also her daughter's (Georgina Gracey). After paying a researcher many years ago it is fantastic to now have solid evidence.

KK