Author Topic: Michael Fuery  (Read 3781 times)

Offline rbasin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Fuery
« on: Saturday 09 March 13 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My Great Great grandfather, Michael John Fuery, was born (or claimed to) in Kings County in either 1816 or 1819, depending on differing data. His Father was Thomas and Mother Mary. We don't know much about him pre-1841, when he shows up in the U.S. Army in Buffalo, New York (USA). Other people in my family think he was from Rosecommon, but on his military records, it state Kings, so I'm going with that. We believe that his family wandered around Ireland, likely causing mischief. Fuery is what we know the surname to be, but it may have been Furey.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Fuery
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 March 13 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Michael was born a long time before the start of civil birth records in 1864 so you need to check for church records to see if you can locate his baptism. To this this you need two vital details : the denomination of your Fuery family, and also their precise location - i.e. the townland, town or parish.

Few parishes have records back to the 1810s, so knowing the location is quite important.

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 March 13 11:57 GMT (UK) »
There are a few 'Fury' entries showing up around the right time (1813-1823) on the Co. Offaly records on the baptism Index on RootsIreland (pay-website), but no sign of a Michael unfortunately

Only 4 of the 22 RC parishes included have records going back before 1820

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 March 13 12:04 GMT (UK) »
If Thomas was a farmer he may have appeared in the Tithe records, which were a form of payment to the Established church by occupants of many agricultural area. There are a few 'Fury' entries showing up if King's Co., including a Thomas at Bolart townland, Kilmanaghan civil parish.

These entries are dated between 1828 and 1828

see : fu*r*y, King's Co., Tithe records

My Surname Interests

Offline rbasin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 March 13 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all. I know they were Irish-Catholic. Not really alot to go on I know

Offline Lolllie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 12:28 GMT (UK) »
not sure if this helps but you never know!

Mary Ann Tyrell Born Kings County, married John FURY from Roscommon, Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church, Liverpool, 1862. John's parents Patrick & Bridget Fury, witnesses James Reardon & Catherine Tyrell (left Liverpool for US 1873).