Author Topic: 1770s-1790s Dublin marriage records help?  (Read 9654 times)

Offline FoggontheTyne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1770s-1790s Dublin marriage records help?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 08:48 GMT (UK) »
problem is Flinn/Flynn is a very common surname - so probably no way to be certain if any of these fit, which is why I suggested searching for a baptism first to establish the name of William's wife.

Records this early are quite rare especially pre-1800, so there's no guarantee anything is online for your William, or even exists

RootsIreland dont have records for all counties, and also dont have all records for the counties they do cover - e.g. none for Clare or Carlow, very few for Wexford, RC only for Co. Louth, missing parts of Tipperary, none for Kerry, only part of Cork etc

S.

I suspected as much.....will proceed with caution!

Offline FoggontheTyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 March 13 22:05 GMT (UK) »
After much searching in Irish Genealogy have found the burial record for William:
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/f45bf70498084
right age, right parish, St Peter's, and COI.

While combing the data base also found a new brother
James 1764
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/0a4ee00183443
and
sister Rachel 1769
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/bb0dc30183836

oddly enough there were 3 burials for a family named Fling in King Street in the same parish in 1710, 1711 and 1722 and am inevitably wondering if these were actually further children of William's grandfather Walter 1690. No way of finding out and one will never get round these problems without inspecting the original, which needless to say has not yet been imaged on the site!

I noticed there is a dearth of other details in burials ie lots of N/Rs and wonder what the reason is. I assume that if parents are reported it was the burial of a child.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 March 13 09:58 GMT (UK) »
.... burials for a family named Fling in King Street in the same parish in 1710, 1711 and 1722 and am inevitably wondering if these were actually further children of William's grandfather Walter 1690. No way of finding out and one will never get round these problems without inspecting the original...
I noticed there is a dearth of other details in burials ie lots of N/Rs and wonder what the reason is. I assume that if parents are reported it was the burial of a child.

Early death/Burial in church registers dont usually include much detail, hence the N/R entries - or 'Not Recorded'. It's unlikely that the originals would show any additional details. Entries generally include a name & date, sometimes age, and sometimes an address.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline FoggontheTyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 18 March 13 14:43 GMT (UK) »

Early death/Burial in church registers dont usually include much detail, hence the N/R entries - or 'Not Recorded'. It's unlikely that the originals would show any additional details. Entries generally include a name & date, sometimes age, and sometimes an address.

Shane
[/quote]

It doesn't surprise me.

Searching Flinn marriages it was noticeable there were a large number in southern Ireland around Cork, Waterford and Wexford which also had big Huguenot communities. I still can't fathom the connection between the name Flinn and the Huguenot community, which I assumed early on was some kind of corruption or adaptation of a previous Flemish or Dutch name which the earlier family arrived with.

Offline FoggontheTyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 19:57 GMT (UK) »
For anyone keeping an eye on this, searching Irish Genealogy have found it a good idea to start with as few search terms as possible eg Flinn and keyword St. Peter's Dublin then trawl from there.

Incidentally am encountering "alternative" spellings within my area of interest ie Fling and Flinn. Investigating this I found a Fling baptism in the same street, similar dates and with same parents as my known Flinns, so concluded an overwhelming possibility it was the same family. Have therefore added it to the tree!

Offline FoggontheTyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 22 March 13 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Found him! In this new IGRS online data base....
http://www.igrsoc.org/members/marriages/search_index.php

A publicity news item came through on email from Who Do You Think You Are? online journal.
IGRS are opening up their records.
David Flinn was right. It was 1788 in Cork, Ellen Scanlan. Big surprise is that my Flinn was a Dr.
Next job is to somehow find out if the family stayed in Dublin or took up residence in Cork.

Offline FoggontheTyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 22 March 13 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Link to actual page didn't work. Put in Flinn and date range.

Offline FoggontheTyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 22 March 13 13:34 GMT (UK) »

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 22 March 13 13:37 GMT (UK) »
just wondering how were you able to connect that marriage to your William in Dublin ?

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests