Author Topic: Thomas Draper  (Read 3349 times)

Offline twill44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Draper
« on: Tuesday 12 March 13 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
Does anyone have any information on Thomas Draper/Goulding? Arrived Aust. 23 Feb 1838 on the "Upton Castle". He is listed as a passenger with Patrick Goulding, Cabinetmaker and Mrs Goulding. On the NSW immigrants 1828-1842 from the "Upton Castle" there is Patrick Golding, Farm Labourer & Overseer, 30 yrs. Native Place, Cork. Margaret Golding, 25 yrs. Native Place Limerick. Children; Thomas Draper, 12y, Nephew of Patrick Golding. Did he take the name Golding and become Thomas Golding?
Thanks for any help,
Ron
Nagels of Bendigo and Germany. Will. Edinburgh and Aust. Tulloch Edinburgh and Orkney. Kennedy Aust and ?

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Draper
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ron, There are two marriages for Thomas Draper's in NSW around 1850 one in Sydney and yet another in Araluen NSW which was once a large Goldmining area of early NSW.

Do you have Thomas's Parents names, it may make it easier to work out you one?

I would assume that Thomas being the nephew of Patrick Golding meant he was the Son of Patrick's Sister and her Husband Mr  ......... Draper.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Thomas Draper who died 17 Dec 1859 Braidwood age 33 ( Family Search) is about the correct age.  http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13034915?searchTerm=thomasdraper&searchLimits=fromyyyy=1859|||frommm|||fromdd|||toyyyy=1859|||tomm|||todd
Muss

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 21:45 GMT (UK) »
There is a fair amount of information on the Draper family in the MONARO Pioneers project. The Monaro region near Canberra ACT, takes in The Braidwood Araluen areas.

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SHOW&db=monaropioneers&recno=87971
It corroborates his Birth place and death years.
Neil

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Thomas's Parentage is explained in the Link and gives his Father as Matthew Draper and his Mother as Margaret Goulding. Margaret quite possibly Patrick Gouldings sister.

His Marriage 1853 at Braidwood or Araluen NSW To Dolleina Ross of Rosskean Scotland gave them 4 children. Patrick william 1854, James Goulding 1856, George 1858 and Thomasina Margaret Ann in 1860 after Thomas's death and Obviously named in his honor.

Neil

Offline twill44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the info. He is not the person I'm searching for. I am trying to find  Patrick Golding/Golden who was a witness at a Purchase/Morvell marriage in Geelong Vic. in 1842 and if any relation to a Thomas Golding/Golden who in 1856 married in Ballarat the widow (Purchase) of the 1842 marriage.
Thanks.
Ron
Nagels of Bendigo and Germany. Will. Edinburgh and Aust. Tulloch Edinburgh and Orkney. Kennedy Aust and ?

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
Does anyone have any information on Thomas Draper/Goulding? Arrived Aust. 23 Feb 1838 on the "Upton Castle". He is listed as a passenger with Patrick Goulding, Cabinetmaker and Mrs Goulding. On the NSW immigrants 1828-1842 from the "Upton Castle" there is Patrick Golding, Farm Labourer & Overseer, 30 yrs. Native Place, Cork. Margaret Golding, 25 yrs. Native Place Limerick. Children; Thomas Draper, 12y, Nephew of Patrick Golding. Did he take the name Golding and become Thomas Golding?
Thanks for any help,
Ron

If you are looking for Patrick Golding/Golden, Then why did you not ask that in your original post?
You asked for information on Thomas Draper. ::)

Neil >:(

Offline WOV22

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 May 21 13:47 BST (UK) »
Ron

I am also confused by the Draper\Goulding/Golding name usage
My GG Grand Mother was registered at marriage as Jemima Agnes GOULDING (born abt 1821 Cork Ireland) married in Hobart Van Diemen's Land in 1839 to John Babington, She died in Hobart 4 Sept 1860.
We have searched for 30 years for her birth or immigration record with the name Goulding without luck. My primary search objective is to find the Parents of my Jemima Goulding

I have identified a Jemima Agnes DRAPER aged 12 arriving in Hobart on the Brig "Sarah" 14th Dec 1832 with her father Matthew Draper, and siblings James, Jeremiah and Eliza. This age 12 matches with Jemima's calculated birth year from her marriage record. Matthew's spouse is just listed as "Wife" on the shipping manifest. Subsequently we have identified the spouse of Matthew Draper as Margaret GOULDING.

To your reference of Patrick Golding in your message. I have found the Goulding name got changed to Golding fairly commonly  during that period
I have in my records a Patrick Goulding born 1800, died Liverpool NSW 1880 (source NSW BDM 7555/1880   Aged 80 at death as Patrick GOLDING)
I have his parents as Jeremiah Goulding and Hanna Connell. Plus a sister Margaret Goulding Born abt 1794 Cork Ireland, and died 16 Oct 1861 Braidwood NSW (from Family Search)

The rest of my comments are not verified, but make some sense, and my purpose in writing to you is to see if any of this fits with your research into DRAPER/GOULDING/GOLDING

We have identified a Matthew Draper in Braidwood NSW around the 1840/50's with children of the same name (minus Jemima who is married in Hobart). Also there are multiple Draper and Goulding,/Golding families in the area during the 1800s and even today.

Are the Draper and Goulding families in Braidwood from Van Diemen's Land and have other Drapers and Goulding joined them from Ireland. There was a Gold Rush in Braidwood around this time and it makes me consider the family members were involved in that enterprise

I would welcome any comments  you may be able to share

Robert (Bob) Wotherspoon

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 May 21 19:57 BST (UK) »
...I have identified a Jemima Agnes DRAPER aged 12 arriving in Hobart on the Brig "Sarah" 14th Dec 1832 with her father Matthew Draper, and siblings James, Jeremiah and Eliza. This age 12 matches with Jemima's calculated birth year from her marriage record. Matthew's spouse is just listed as "Wife" on the shipping manifest. Subsequently we have identified the spouse of Matthew Draper as Margaret GOULDING.

Hi - I believe that the arrival record has been wrongly transcribed and that 'James' is actually Nano, written as 'Nanno'.
https://stors.tas.gov.au/G03-1-1P073JPG
(Add - though I can also see a tree has this inscription attached to her “Sacred to the memory of Hannora Draper Daughter of Matthew and Margaret Draper Died December 18th 1846 (sic) Aged 19 years.”)

Nano Draper, daughter of Mathew Draper, cooper, died in 1840 aged 19y
https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD35-1-1p53j2k

M

Add - Birth of William in Hobart 1834
https://stors.tas.gov.au/NI/1083238