Author Topic: Wicklow marriages  (Read 4940 times)

Offline SoupDragon64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wicklow marriages
« on: Tuesday 12 March 13 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I have just started 'seriously' looking into my Irish decendents after years of being discouraged.  I found my great grandparents and family members on the Irish Cesuses from 1901 and 1911 a while ago but got no further. 

I found wedding details of my great grandparents on the RootsIreland website at the weekend, and would like to look for other family members, but I don't know how, or even if, you can find out which (RC) church they were married in.

Does anyone know how to find this information, or will I have to buy a wedding certificate to find out?  I could then look for their children.

Many thanks for any information you could provide.
 :)
Newby, Collins, Rowe, - Liverpool.
Malone, Doyle - Wicklow, Ireland

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Wicklow marriages
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 20:45 GMT (UK) »
I have just started 'seriously' looking into my Irish decendents after years of being discouraged.  I found my great grandparents and family members on the Irish Cesuses from 1901 and 1911 a while ago but got no further. 

I found wedding details of my great grandparents on this website at the weekend, and would like to look for other family members, but I don't know how, or even if, you can find out which (RC) church they were married in.

Does anyone know how to find this information, or will I have to buy a wedding certificate to find out?  I could then look for their children.

what date was the marriage ?

If it was 1864 or later then a civil cert should be available, which would often give a few more details than a church record - see :

Introduction to Irish Records
    Details included on a Marriage Cert

The transcripts on RootsIreland should mention which parish the marriage took place in, so usually whatever the parish church was at that time (There can be chapels of ease in parishes also, but most marriages took place in the parish church).

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline SoupDragon64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shane,
Thanks for that quick reply.  Their wedding was 1890, and it just states Wicklow as the Parish and Co. Wiclow as the county.  I know they lived in Rathdrum.

I'll have a look at those sites, I may have printed some of their info off alread, but am not sure.  I am not familiar at all with Irish rearch - certificates and different offices etc, only UK stuff, so it should be interesting.

Thanks muchly again.
Soup  :)
Newby, Collins, Rowe, - Liverpool.
Malone, Doyle - Wicklow, Ireland

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that quick reply.  Their wedding was 1890, and it just states Wicklow as the Parish and Co. Wiclow as the county.  I know they lived in Rathdrum.

Wicklow as a parish refers to the town - on the coast and to the east of the town of Rathdrum.

What are the names of the couple ?

Irish Civil certs contain much the same as English certs, just civil registration started here a little later...

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 March 13 15:02 GMT (UK) »
I see you are researching Doyle & Malone of Wicklow. What were you gr-parents names and addresses on the 1901 and 1911 census? I also have Malone's and Doyle s on my tree.
Perhaps we could help each other.

Julia M from Wicklow Town
Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.