Author Topic: Can anyone find Clara Elizabeth (Clarissa) Tann after 1861 please?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone find Clara Elizabeth (Clarissa) Tann after 1861 please?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 March 13 09:19 GMT (UK) »
In 1863 John Tann, of King Street, was sentenced to six months imprisonment for a brutal assault on his wife Maria. Evidence was given by their daughter Clara, who said her father had also assaulted her.

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 March 13 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Where did you find that report, Dave? It isn't on Ancestry It's the last mention of Clarissa that I've seen. I suppose that she moved away and married or died, but freeBMD do not seem to have a record that would fit. Was a birth certificate required for marriage? If not, it's possible that she changed her name to escape the shame of her father's behaviour.
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline kaysii

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 March 13 09:58 GMT (UK) »
You can find the report both in the Norfolk Chronicle 23 May 1863 and in the Norfolk News (same date). I found it on Find My Past. If you can get to Norwich you could also view it at the Heritage Centre at the Forum.

Kaysii

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 April 20 17:44 BST (UK) »
You should never give up!
I posted this enquiry seven years ago and I think that I've just found Clara Elizabeth. A combination of a random Ancestry hint and FreeBMD led me to her. Her life wasn't straightforward!
In 1871 and 1881 she was living with the wonderfully named Horace Bolingbroke Reeve, a piano tuner, as his wife, in Norwich . I can't find a record of their marriage and it's likely that Horace's first wife didn't die until 1878.
In 1891 they are in Leyton in Essex, Horace is a musician and Clara is a machinist. In 1892 they had a son, William Horace, baptised Willie Horace. By this time Clara was 50. I can't find a record of any other children.  Clara's birthplace of Bawburgh(misspelled but clear) in 1871 and 1891,makes it fairly certain it's her.
In 1894 Horace died and in 1896 Clara married Henry Hubbard, a widower with 3 children, in Stratford Essex. The marriage record in the Essex C of E marriage records give her name as Clara Elizabeth Reeve and her father's name as John Tann.
In 1911 the census places Clara and William in a household in Hackney with Henry, a "scavenger"(?) with the Borough Council, and his eldest, unmarried daughter and her 2 children. Again her birthplace is recorded as Bawburgh.
Henry died in 1912 in Poplar, and Clara in 1916, in Hackney. Her age is given as 67, whereas she was 74 but, again, I'm fairly certain it's her.

All comments, positive or negative, gratefully received!

Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham