Author Topic: Breedon-on-the-Hill  (Read 5936 times)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Breedon-on-the-Hill
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 12:59 BST (UK) »
The marriage licence gives William's age as 18 and Joyce as 21, although it may have meant 21 and upwards.

You have probably seen the will of William Leawood in 1787. He named his son as William Leawood Hollenworth and his brother as Joseph Leawood as the sole executor. Joseph also signed the licence.

David

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 13:47 BST (UK) »
been to library this morning.

IGI has williams marriage as William Hollingsworth = Joyce Throne 30/3 1792 Breedon,

Baptism: William Hollingsworth s/o Catherine Hollingsworth (no father given) 15/10/1775 Breedon

Possible Marriage? Catherine Hollingworth = Thomas Fawdrell 22/4/1778 Breedon  so maybe Williams father?

Baptism: Joseph Leaward Hollingsworth 28/10/1792 Breedon s/o Richard & Ann but also checked local PR and found entry for Josephs baptism 28/10/1792/ Father unclear - thought originally said william but might have been
expecting that because of your post.

Marriage: Joseph L. Hollingsworth - Elizabeth Loebb? name diff to read. 9/6/1811 Castle Donington.  Marriage by licence. Both signed. Witnesses: Mary L. Holligsworth & Thonas ?    I have picture of entry.

Also got some pics of IGI entries and Leadward entries in memorial tombstone book. Please send email by PM and I will send to you.

Diddy

Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 15:00 BST (UK) »
Catherine had another child before she married Thomas Powdrell. Probably Powdrill because the marriage was witness by Henry Powdrill.

After each of the children, there is something else, but I can't quite make it out.

David

Offline loubags

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 15:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all of your help. :) So it looks like William might be the red herring then and Joseph's father is Richard, which explains why the ages don't quite match when presuming William and Joyce are the parents!

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 16:26 BST (UK) »
I think the father of Joseph in 1792 was a shortened version of William (Wm) - attached, together with the full first name of William's baptism in 1775, which is less clear than the one in 1777.

I suspect that William was the son of William, as mentioned in the will, and Catherine was his mother. Either William was already married or he just didn't marry Catherine. William may have taken care of his son when Catherine married, if not before.

I should have mentioned that the child baptised on 24 Aug 1777 was Ginney, but I can't find anything else about her.

David

Offline loubags

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 20:03 BST (UK) »
I think Ginney may possibly be Jane Hollingsworth (if the name is transcribed correctly - I don't have the original), who married Samuel Collier in Breedon on 18 Oct 1798. The groom's parish is Melbourne, Derby, where I believe Catherine Hollingsworth and her family are from.

However, I can't make out the writing after the name either!

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 10:15 BST (UK) »
I think you are right about Ginney because William Leawood was a witness at her wedding.

Also, Catherine Powdrill's age on burial in 1833 ties in with a baptism in Melbourne in 1862.

You may have the following, but I think Samuel Collier died in 1803 and Jenny Collyer married Thomas Beighton of Ticknall on 4th December in Melbourne.

In 1841, she is Jane, a widow, age 60, in Ticknall with Lewis Beighton 26, James Beighton 23 and Edmund Colyer 13.

In 1851, she is Jenny, a pauper widow in Ticknall, age 70, born in Breedon, with sons, Lewis and James.

Lewis died in 1858 James was still in Ticknall in 1861, but I can't find any more about Jane/Jenney.

David

David