Author Topic: Do you like it?  (Read 7857 times)

Offline vhansen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like it?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 June 05 19:29 BST (UK) »
This is my first post since joining recently. I too enjoy colorizing images.
I think the coloring looks good. My initial thought however, was the contrast seems strong for an "aged" look.
Hope this isn't inappropriate, but I adjusted the contrast and added a layer of tan (for the aged color).  My thinking was, it would lose contrast and color, and turn yellowish over time.

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 June 05 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi vhansen

Welcome onboard the more the merrier.
Be my guest and play around with the picture and any other picture on the forum, they have been placed here for us to dabble with and learn from.

I can see what you mean about contrast and the tan layer works well. I will add it to my family tree collection and thank you very much

What I have seen is people have the own ideas and perseption of what a black & white picture should look like coloured as they have nothing to compare it with. the questions I have started to ask myself is how was a picture stored "in a frame on display, used as a coffee mat, left in an album and never opened, etc" so each picture would tell a different story in the end from very faint which we have posted here to looking like new.

It is the person working the picture who says that is done "that works for me", I will and have asked the forum does it work, and will always get an honest answer.

Like I said earlier in this posting I have only been doing this for 3 months, but have started to approach each picture with a different line of thought and what I want from it in the end.

Am I right or wrong? am I barking up the wrong tree or just barking mad?  ;D I will let you lot be the judge of that

Regards
Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 June 05 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi sandie

Upload your picture to the forum so we " by that I mean deadants" ;D can help you if needed.

We all started off with the worse looking picture ever seen, but it does get better and very quickly.

Regards
Ken

Offline vhansen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 June 05 21:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome!
It's true, we all see things differently and have our own tastes.
I've been coloring and restoring photos for a few years, and I guess I'm set in my ways.  For myself, I reference images from the era that are pristine, and use that as my basis for restoration.  For colorings, I reference fashions and popular colors of the era.  Finally, I try what "I" think might look good.
If you're interested, here is some of my work:
http://www.pbase.com/vhansen/colorings

Vikki

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 June 05 23:24 BST (UK) »
Welcome Vikki

Just had a look at your link and I am impressed. It looks like we have another expert on board. I hope you don't mind us beginners asking stupid questions I have only been into this for a few weeks and like Ken am trying to become more proficient each day.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 June 05 00:14 BST (UK) »
Ken,

I definitely need help!  I did put the picture on my other posting the other day - I got bored waiting for the photo I originally posted to be returned to me so did the other one and attached that - the trouble is... I can't remember how to add a link to it.  It's attached to 'How do I fix this picture?'

By the way I also posted an apology to you on there.  I thought I had replied when you had a go at my picture, but I hadn't and felt awful.  So apologies for that, it wasn't intentional.

Regards
Sandie
Lewis & Davies in Glam.
Richards & Roberts,  in Carmarthen & Glam.
Bowen & Morgans in Carm.
Walters & Mort in Glam.
Dinmore, in SE London (prev.Surrey & Kent), Lowestoft & Yorks.
Collier/Collyer, Tyler & Welch in SE London(prev.Surrey)

All census transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 June 05 00:33 BST (UK) »
yippppppyyyyyy FOLKS

WE HAVE ANOTHER DEADANTS IN OUR MISTS IN vikki, your link is superb.

Jane thats our next target, what do you say? you up for the challenge?  :) . will have another look tomorrow when I am sober and after my flying lesson  :o the things you can get upto when you are unemployed  ;)

Regards
Ken

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 12 June 05 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

I already have an album on Photobucket where I put my pictures of my church and Ruddington Frameworks Knitters Museum that I did especially for Rootschat friends so they could look at them if they had relatives involved in either Beeston church or FWK. The postings had lots of interest so it was worth it. I had to adjust all the photos for size and I made them clearer to read the detail rather than for artistic content. It was good practice, especially for the ones inside the church as they originally came out so dark.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y277/swanjane/

I can easily put another album on there for my colourisations.

If you need web space Photobucket is free, dead easy to use and was recommended by Deadants.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk