Author Topic: Ancestors of Kenneth Macleod born abt 1759 Parish of Durness  (Read 26523 times)

Offline pam4kids

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors of Kenneth Macleod born abt 1759 Parish of Durness
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 28 June 15 23:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie I'll check that out! And thank you Djct59 for the history lesson!!

Offline Rw2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pam4kids,

I hope you receive this, I'm a descendant of George MacLeod and Sophia McKay as well, although by their son Kenneth.  I'm wondering what interest you might have in Sophia's father John's roots?  He was a blacksmith who died in Durness in 1811 and his wife Ann Calder remarried and    she and her children and their stepfather moved to Prince Edward Island in 1815 (as I'm sure you know) where Ann died a yr. later in 1816.  There are traditions and rumours that John was related to and descended from clan chieftains.  Do you anything about that?  I write about some of what I've been told and read here  in the 2nd and 3rd large paragraphs beginning with  "Update:  Apr. 2017"  https://www.flickr.com/photos/97924400@N00/9570573637/stats/   

The seemingly 'well researched' study posted online that I refer to is this here.:  http://www.islandregister.com/mackay9.html    Please let me know what you think.

I'm interested in Kenneth MacLeod and Ann (aka Nancy) Morrison as well.

Offline Windwolvz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 25 July 21 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hello to all.  I am also a descendant of Kenneth MacLeod and Ann Morrison.  Their daughter Ann MacLeod married James Pidgeon in PEI in 1823 and my lineage is directly connected through them.  I am following this with great interest as I too went back as far as I could to Kenneth and no further.  Kenneth and family came to Canada aboard the Elizabeth and Ann in 1806 with three other MacLeod families namely John, Hugh and another John.  John MacLeod b.1761 and his wife Mary MacPherson has been proven to be the brother of Kenneth through John's will in which he leaves his farm adjoining his brother Kenneth's to two of his sons.  Connections to other MacLeod's of PEI have yet to be determined.  I would love to connect and share our findings with one another in the hopes of gaining a greater perspective of our shared heritage.  Cheers.

Offline pam4kids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 25 July 21 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi ! My 4th great grandparents are Kenneth and Ann MacLeod also! I only got as far as the parish records. For at least 8 yrs I’ve been trying to find Kenneth’s father. A lot of people put Donald And Catherine MacLeod as the parents. Donald was from Trotternish. Hope we can share some ideas.

Pam

Offline Windwolvz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 25 July 21 17:57 BST (UK) »
Well met Pam.  I would love that.  No guarantee that we can get back any further but I am just as interested in the Morison line.  I've been to Durness (I live in Ontario, Canada) but have yet to get out to PEI.  Let me put some thoughts together for you and I'll post soon!  Cheers.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 25 July 21 19:35 BST (UK) »
Well, assuming that the fraternal link betweeen Kenneth and John is established beyond reasonable doubt, that doesn't assist in identifying their father, as Reverend Thomson's records as transcribed by Hew Morrison and published in 1911 give neither man a patronymic.

All that can be said with certainty is that they were nearby tenants, one in Sangobeg, one in Islandhall, and that they were not regarded by Reverend Thomson as requiring their status noted as "incomers" from another parish so the possibility of a father from Trotternish is not strong.

While Ann Morrison's ancestry can be traced back three generations from her marriage record, there is no prospect now of determining from written records who was father of the MacLeod brothers.

Offline Rw2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 24 July 22 18:44 BST (UK) »
Dear Sir (djct59),

I've checked the 1793 marriage record for Kenneth MacLeod and Ann Morrison available online, and it reads "334. [at top left corner] Kenneth Macleod Tenent in Saingobeg, and Ann Morrison Daughter of John Morrison, alias [unintell. - Marinlem machustian?] on Islandhall were married 19th February [1793]".
I'm fascinated with your information that John is the son of Donald the son of Hugh, and that Kenneth was in the Reay Fencibles.  I haven't found a birth record for Ann.  Please let me know the source of your info. re John Morrison's father and grandfather, and re Kenneth's employment with the Reay Fencibles, if you would.  Thank you very much!!   

Offline Rw2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 24 July 22 18:52 BST (UK) »
My apologies, I misquoted your earlier post.  You wrote some years ago that Ann was "the sixth daughter of John Morrison, the son of William the son of Hugh." 

Thank you again.  I'm fascinated.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 24 July 22 22:08 BST (UK) »
Rw2:

The birth entry on 27th September 1795 in the parish record reads

"Kenneth MacLeod, a little tenent in Saingobeg, presently private in the Reay Fencible Highlanders, and . . . Ann Morison, alias nin Eanmacuilammachustian, Mary Ann".

He left the Fencibles before their formal discharge in 1802, and was back in Sangobeg with his family in 1801