Author Topic: Ancestors of Kenneth Macleod born abt 1759 Parish of Durness  (Read 26557 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors of Kenneth Macleod born abt 1759 Parish of Durness
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 09:15 BST (UK) »
Margaret Sutherland, alias nin Sainach (?).
Again, it's not an alias. It means 'daughter of ...' but I can't think what Sainach would be.

Hector Macneilicrory
Hector, son of Neil, grandson of Roderick.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 14:00 BST (UK) »
Forfarian: Thanks for the photos. The one on Eilean Hoan confirms what I suspected, namely that there was enough shelter for a shepherd to be safe overnight if stuck as my uncle was.

"Sainach" is indeed unusual. It appears once only in Hew Morison's transcript of the parish record, and there is no similar Gaelic word that would make sense in the context of a patronymic. Without looking at the original handwritten record, I would note that Margaret Sutherland is also referred to in the parish records as "MacKenzie", and wonder if it's a misreading of nin Coineach = daughter of Kenneth

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 15:38 BST (UK) »
wonder if it's a misreading of nin Coineach = daughter of Kenneth
Ah, possibly.

As you say, you'd need to check the handwritten original.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 19:45 BST (UK) »
Ann Morrison (my great x 5 grandmother) hailed from there as you know, and her father John, and possibly William and Hugh before them, and a great x 4 grandfather Andrew MacPherson (b. 1794) was from Islandhall as well, and his father Angus before him who married (as a "single young lad") Margaret Sutherland, alias nin Sainach (?), widow of Hector   
Do you have a copy of the record with "alias nin Sainach" which you could post for us to have a look at & try to decipher?

This is another post on RC you may want to look at...

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=656326.50

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 21:08 BST (UK) »
Here you go.

The first letter looks like a lower case "s", but why would the Minister start a name with a lower case letter? It's nothing like his capital "S". However, I think we can rule out "Coinneach". Thoughts?

Offline meanno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 21:42 BST (UK) »
This entry in the DPR confirms that Eilean Choraidh is Island Hall. Having connections to Eilean Hoan you got me worried by the confusion so I checked!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 22:38 BST (UK) »
The first letter looks like a lower case "s", but why would the Minister start a name with a lower case letter? It's nothing like his capital "S". However, I think we can rule out "Coinneach". Thoughts?
It is odd but fwiw, even without a capital, it could be cainach i.e. Kenneth?

Is there anywhere else on the page with a similar letter to the lower case initial we see here?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rw2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 00:40 BST (UK) »
This is wonderful!  Thank you dcjt59, Forfarian, Rosinish and Meanno.   I'm more impressed and grateful with every post.   (I could look for records for a local Margaret Sutherland born to a Kenneth?)