Author Topic: Alice Elizabeth Main Marriage to Dr Taylor - Victoria or Elsewhere  (Read 4849 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Elizabeth Main Marriage to Dr Taylor - Victoria or Elsewhere
« Reply #27 on: Friday 15 March 13 05:31 GMT (UK) »

From the newspaper snippet it appears that Wm TAYLOR died in Japan in Sep 1938.  I don't have time today to type up the item.  Yes it is difficult to read but it can be worked out between the text and the digitised clip.

Alice trained as a nurse and deaconess in Melbourne about 1900. Nurse in Alice Springs about late 1900's.

I am looking for a marriage to a Dr William Taylor - his name taken from her Death Certificate Victoria.
I am unsure, as she travelled overseas as a nurse missionary in Korea and India,could even married in Shanghai. She was a nurse in Korea and India between 1910 - 1920. I do not know when Alice was in Shanghai.
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

A Victorian death certificate has the following which should be completed.

If the deceased was married

12 (1)  Where          ..     ..    ..
           and
    (2)  At what age  ..     ..    ..
           and
    (3)  To whom      ..     ..    ..
    (4)  Conjugal condition as date of death

13  The issue in order of birth
      the names and ages  ..     ..

Could we please have ALL the information on the death certificate.  It is the small details that are often important eg who was the informant etc.

In 1943 Alice Elizabeth TAYLOR  [yes given names reversed] Home Duties and Janie Alice TAYLOR were living at 2 Aroha Crescent, Camberwell, Nurse.
In 1949 Elizabeth Alice TAYLOR Home duties, with a Janie Alice TAYLOR at Scenic Crescent Kalorama, Home duties, which is in the Dandenongs. 
Janie is alone at that address in 1954. 

Cando

Red warning...see the marriage has been found but surely all the information is on the marriage cert.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 15 March 13 05:33 GMT (UK) »
Correction....on the death cert.

Thank goodness I am leaving for a holiday today - no more stuff ups for a while

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 15 March 13 05:35 GMT (UK) »
May I support Cando's request re all the information on the dc please.

Cheers,  JM

I am looking for a marriage to a Dr William Taylor - his name taken from her Death Certificate Victoria.

As you have the dc, that I found the ref no. for, ....  are you saying that it does not have information about her marriage?  .... What information does that 1950 dc have?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 15 March 13 05:39 GMT (UK) »
hi

Thank you, I had tried everthing, then just typed Dr William Taylor Korea.

Trove must have the mind of a male, give it too much information ie Main Taylor marriage Korea and it shuts down or just keeps thinking.

Muss

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 March 13 05:48 GMT (UK) »
hi

Thank you, I had tried everthing, then just typed Dr William Taylor Korea.

Trove must have the mind of a male, give it too much information ie Main Taylor marriage Korea and it shuts down or just keeps thinking.

Muss

Oh so its Mr Trove  ;D

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 15 March 13 05:55 GMT (UK) »
As for the death certificate, yes its handy to have all the info on them but at times depending who the informant is there is limited information. I got the impression this is what happened with Alice's death certificate as the poster had the husbands name but since he was looking for the marriage there must have been very limited information regarding this marriage.

A good work out for my brain anyway  ;D

Offline muso_bob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 15 March 13 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone. Wow, thank you for all your input. I cannot wait to assemble, sort and record all that has been found. A descendant did search Trove, however, for William Taylor didn't find what you have. She is so grateful. I started this post for this lady, non-Rootschat member, who has a direct lineage to this couple and had hit a number of bickwalls. Having had immense success using Rootschat for my research I suggested this site. Your input and new information is marvellous. So impressed and grateful is this relative that she has "signed up". Thank you and you may start to see input from this lady as a "newbie".
Robert

Turnbull - (Cramlington - Northumberland)
Turnbull - (South Shields - Durham)
Winn - (Morpeth -  Northumberland)
Hill - (Staffordshire - [Wednesfield] - Shropshire [Pontesbury])
Bedwell - ([Leiston] - Suffolk) - ([London] Middlesex)
Fisher - (Suffolk)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 15 March 13 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Just a bit of trivia but it appears the Doc and Alice worked together in the John G. Paton Hospital in Vila, in the New Hebrides before they married.

The marriage notice that Muss found and posted the link on #22

The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954)
Tuesday 25 November 1913
Miss E. A. Main, formerly matron of the John G. Paton Hospital in Vila, in the New Hebrides, will leave Melbourne for Korea shortly. Her marriage with Dr. Taylor,. a well-known medical missionary in Tong Yeng, in the south of Korea, will take place on her arrival there.

Then i found this

The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956)
Saturday 20 September 1913
One day Mr. Jacomb saw a man coming lo his office dressed in what appeared to be a red singlet, bul, as he carne in, he found it was blood. He had a deep cut in his head, and had walked six miles in this condition. Mr. Jacomb sent him across to the  John G'. Paton Memorial Hospital, and it took Dr. Taylor 12 hours lo stop the bleeding. etc etc etc
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/7241440

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 15 March 13 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Just for interest ... So William went over to New Hebrides in June 1910 and Alice was already there in 1911.

The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954)
Tuesday 30 November 1909
Dr,. William ^Taylor, who is at present completing his studies nt the Edinburgh University, has been appointed mission- ary to the New Hebrides Jby the Presbj' terinn Church of Victoria. Dr. Taylor will take a special course in the study - of tropical diseases, and will leave tlie University for Australia in April next, proceeding to_the Now Hebrides in June.

Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954)
Saturday 1 April 1911
 Nurse Main, who was succeeded at the Presbyterian mission at Oodnadrtta by Nurse Latto Bett.' is now matron of the J. G. Paton Hospital at Fela, in the New Hebrides