Author Topic: Meredith: Samuel Driver and Mary Ann m. 1852  (Read 7457 times)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Meredith: Samuel Driver and Mary Ann m. 1852
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 06 April 13 09:35 BST (UK) »
Witnesses look like Robert Sutherland & Mary Boots.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hawk64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 06 April 13 09:52 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't know if the parents were alive for Cole and I don't know who they were for Elizabeth. Not very helpful, I guess.

Offline KiwiCockney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 23 July 17 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Hawk64, a little late but here goes.  I believe I am a direct descendent of Henry Thomas Cole via his daughter Mary Ann born 1828, then via Samuel Driver Meredith (Limehouse), John Silas Cole Meredith (Limehouse), Mabel Rose Meredith (Holborn, probably Stoke Newington) then my dad (Otago, New Zealand). 
You've opened a can of worms for me because Henry Thomas seems to appear out of thin air around the time of his marriage, if his name was William then that answers a few things.
For me, things get doubly complicated because my mum was from Limehouse too, her grandmother was a Cole and her 3rd great grandfather was called Henry.  Both Henry Coles have Bethnal Green addresses at various times so you start wondering if you are related to yourself in the way of the Royal Family :-)  I'm now certain they a different people and I cannot make a family connection so we can put me being a bit inbred to one side.

I can only tell you what happened to the descendants of Mary Ann Cole as far as John Silas Cole Meredith lived 1869 - 1940 died in Stoke Newington London,  his daughter Mabel Rose married a Kiwi in 1916, I think he was a seaman, his name was Francis J L Jones and they had a son called Donald James Jones.  Mabel and Donald sailed for NZ in 1919 on the HMT Kigoma.  Something happened on the way according to my dad, she got on to the ship as Mrs. Jones and got off Mrs. Thomson the wife of my granddad the Bosun.  She had three more kids by my granddad in Otago.  She committed suicide in 1943 aged 47.  I also knew Albert Meredith (1908) the son of John Silas Cole Meredith as a kid. He lived in Princess May Rd, Stoke Newington.
Francis Jones died in Christchurch in 1966 and Donald died in Palmerston North in the 90s.  Hope that this is of interest to you.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 24 July 17 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hello KiwiCockney - welcome to Rootschat.  Hawk64 hasn't been online since 2015, but may still be notified of your response.

However, someone else is interested in Samuel Driver Meredith, and I have notified them of your response here.

This is the link to the other thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=775513.msg6291443#msg6291443
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline hawk64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Yes, luckily Rootschat did inform me of the message and I am back.

KiwiCockney, thanks for writing. I have done quite a bit of research since my last message and while I can't categorically prove it, there is little doubt in my mind that William Cole and Henry Thomas Cole are the same man.

I composed a timeline of events for the Henry Thomas and Elizabeth Cole family and found that when there were gaps between children's births, William Cole was active in Australia. William disappears from the records for a year in Australia - not long after, Henry Thomas and Elizabeth have another child - coincidentally named William.

I have yet been unable to find any record of Henry Thomas being born or dying.

Elizabeth's death registration had her husband recorded as William.

In the letter I have a copy of which is written by John Silas Cole (who your ancestor must have named her son after) he gives a date when his father - who he names as William Henry Thomas Cole - abandoned the family in England. This corresponds with the time that William set up business in Sydney, Australia.

In another coincidence, John Silas Cole did marry a Harriet Hartshorne in England. Less, than a year  later he married an Irish woman named in Mary in San Francisco. He appears to have lived out his life in California, dying in the early 1900s. I did find a later reference to a Harriet Cole, working as a servant. It appears that John Silas Cole did the same thing as his father - abandoned his wife and moved to another country.

I guess it doesn't help your research much but it is a fascinating story. It is one that I am looking at writing a book on. Where do I fit in? After William Cole's Australian wife died, he entered a de facto relationship with one of my ancestors and had several children. And I guess that means that if my Cole theory is right, you have a lot of half-relations in Australia.

All the best and thanks for writing.

Offline KiwiCockney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Hawk64 ..  Thanks so much for the information.  You may be interested to know that our family continue to flit back and forth between England and Australia and New Zealand.   I live near Bath and my son is in Perth WA.  My dad was born in South Island but ran away to sea at around 14 turning up in London in 1948.  I recently was contacted a set of 1st cousins who live in various small towns around the Abel Tasman National park in South Island.  I'd guess they'd be 6th or 7th cousins to you.  Take good care and good luck. John

Offline Antsar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 15 February 18 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have been researching Samuel Driver Meredith, if they are one and the same he was my grandfathers brother. I haven't had time to take in what has been posted yet. I would like to get involved to see if we can put it together.

Waiting with excitement Antsar.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 17 February 18 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Antsar,

Hawk64 has been notified of your new reply, hopefully he will reply very soon.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Antsar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 14 May 18 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwicockney. I am desperate to get in touch with you, with regard to John Silas Cole Meredith. He was my grandfathers brother. I am not very good with these sights if you get this please contact me.

Hope to speak to you antsar ( Dave Murray)