Author Topic: Meredith: Samuel Driver and Mary Ann m. 1852  (Read 7486 times)

Offline hawk64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Meredith: Samuel Driver and Mary Ann m. 1852
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 March 13 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi and many thanks to all who replied,

William Cole was baptised on 3/7/1803 in Bermondsey.
What makes me nervous about this is that if he is Henry Thomas, he's kind of young when he
married Elizabeth McDonald.

Captain William Cole, master mariner, appears in Australia in July of 1834 when he marries an older widow in Sydney. Her husband was allegedly murdered six months earlier.
William then disappears from records for a year, before he returns to take over a publican's licence from his Sydney wife. This missing year would enable him to return to England to see his wife and ''start the process'' for his last son, William.

Upon his return to Australia, he built up quite a property portfolio, lost his wife then had three children in a de facto relationship with an ancestor of mine. He died in 1856.

Now this all sounds a bit hairy to you but here's something interesting. I found a letter in the City of Sydney Archives written by John Silas Cole. It was written in 1867. John Silas lived in San Francisco at the time and advised that he was looking for his father's will. He writes that his father had abandoned the family in the 1830s and had come to Sydney to run a pub. John mentions that he was once a mariner and he had visited his father at this pub in 1852, to discuss family matters and William told him he would complete a will.

John states that his father's name was Captain William Henry Thomas Cole.

I would be interested in your opinions and thanks again for your replies

hawk64

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 March 13 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hawks64,

Well I think the letter from John Silas confirms that you have the right man and family but I would certainly be wary of the baptism given, I agree that he is too young. There are too many baptisms with the variations of Henry, William, Thomas etc in the time frame you have. So. Any idea of his parents names, fathers occupations, siblings, name of any of the ships he sailed on, etc, to help narrow down the search?

Cheers, Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 March 13 09:06 GMT (UK) »
John Silas Cole married Harriet Hartshorne at St Thomas Stepney on 9 March 1862.

Both of Full age and both single,both of Stepney he was a mariner.
HIs father was Henry Thomas Cole also a mariner.

Her father was William Anthony Hartshorne a builder.

Witnesses are very diffcult to read but I think they say Samuel Driver Meredith  and Elizabeth Jane Tratt or Trait.

Everyone signed.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 March 13 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Jane Cole married Fortune Henry Tratt on Epiphiny! 1859 ay St George in the East Tower hamlets.

Both of full age both single,he too was a mariner  :D both of 28 Tarling Street,his dad Henry Tratt a shoemaker, hers is Henry Thomas Cole master mariner.

Witnesses Abrahm Grant and Susannah Blessitt (again)

Everyone signed.

Carol

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 March 13 09:42 GMT (UK) »
EDward James Cole married Jane Elizabeth Cooper both of full age, both widowed,on 14th Dec 1868 at  St James the Great  Bethnal Green ,guess what job he did LOL yep he was a mariner. They give their address as 3 and a half Essex Street.

His father was Henry Thomas Cole master mariner and hers John Harman or Hasman decd.

Witnesses Henry Archer and Something Emma Parker (can't read her first name)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 March 13 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Edward's first marriage appears to be on 3rd June 1851 to Martha Alsop at St Dunstan and All Saints  Stepney,both of full age,both single,he was a mariner(again!)

His father Henry Thomas Cole master mariner, hers Richard Alsop gardener.

Witnesses Mary Ann Cole and Daniel A Connell who made his mark,as did the bride.
Both the Cole's signed.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 March 13 09:51 GMT (UK) »
1861 census  at 23 Featherstone Buildings Limehouse.
Elizabeth calls herself a widow,maybe she was maybe she just considerd herself to be one if hubby did not return from Oz?

Elizabeth Cole    61 head widow b Middlesex
John Cole    31 son unm seaman in the merchant navy b Stepney
Elizabeth Tratt    28 dau needlewoman b Stepney
William Cole    23 son unm farrier b Stepney

RG9/289 Folio 85 Page 15

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 March 13 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Jane Tratt died age 69 in 1902 in Foster Victoria Australia.
Her parent s are given as Henry Thomas Cole and Elizabeth McDonald

So the family did go backwards and forwards to Oz then  ;)

Here's her passage to Australia in 1863

Elizabeth Tratt age 30 sailed on the Light Brigade arriving at Brisbane on 18 May 1863

Offline hawk64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 March 13 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks

Thanks to all again - you've supplied some info I didn't have on the rest of the family.

Jo, to answer your question, I don't have a lot. William Cole's death certificate states that his father was John Cole who was a cooper and his mother was Elizabeth Perkins. This information was supplied by his nephew, ironically named William Cole Ashton. William Cole's sister, Susannah Ashton, and her family had arrived in Australia in 1850. The death certificate information agrees with the baptism record of 1803.

In 1841, he advertised, with another man, for passengers or freight on a schooner called 'Sally'. There is also an unnamed boat mentioned in his will. That's the only references I can find to ships names.

Elizabeth (Cole) Tratt arrived separately to her husband, Fortune. He also died in Foster, Victoria in 1900. His death certificate states that he spent 1.5 years in Queensland, 6 years in NSW and 40 years in Victoria. I wondered if he was looking for Mr Cole. If so, he would have been disappointed - Cole was dead before Fortune arrived.

John Silas appears to have lived out his life in San Francisco, appearing on the 1900 US census. Strangely, throughout the years in US census records, his wife's name is listed as Mary and she was born in Ireland.

William Cole was quite wealthy when he died. Some of the houses he owned still stand today in a popular area of Sydney City. They command million dollar pricetags when they are sold. Strangely, considering the wealth of the man and the fact that his tenants included soon-to-be Premiers, Cole does not appear to have mingled in high society. I wondered if that was because he was worried of being found out.

Once again folks, I thank you and I look forward to your opinions

hawk64