Author Topic: John Barnes c1791 Reading Area  (Read 1990 times)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Barnes c1791 Reading Area
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 March 13 17:02 GMT (UK) »
I'd suggest getting a copy of the death certificate for the John Barnes buried at Tilehurst in 1871 as this amy give a clue to a relative from the person who registered his death.

As Vicwinann has said john and Sarah were said to be of Theale when they had their children baptised at Tilehurst and it might be worth checking the parish records for Englefield which is very nearby Theale and if no luck there then Sulham and Tidmarsh which are just along the valley to the north.

My ancestors at Tilehurst included Haines (of several spellings) families but I can't find any reference to Martha amongst them but I know there were other Haines families living there at the time.  St Michael's parish was a large parish with the church inconveniently located at the southern end and it was often nearer to go to Sulham and Purley than St Michaels so you might find Martha there.

If you want a professional reseaqrcher to look at these parish records for you I can give you the contact details of one I've used and who I would have no hesitation in recommending - personal message me via this site if you do.

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 March 13 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I, too could not find a Martha Hains circa 1787 of any spelling in Tilehurst.  In fact, she could have come from anywhere although the local area is most likely.
I haven't been able to find a burial for Sarah Barnes either, so a search of other local registers might come up with something.  I think, from the Berks Burial Index, that she may be the one buried in Tidmarsh in 1824. She is the right sort of age.
As you say, Artifis, the most likely place for any immediate further information would be John Barnes 1871 death cert.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline jphall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 December 21 19:43 GMT (UK) »
jphall

Hello I have A John Barnes Berkshire, perhaps Tilehurst
He married Sarah Chown on 9th June 1839

I got this information some time ago on Line.