Author Topic: Searching for Cardiff Orphans  (Read 3558 times)

Offline apd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Searching for Cardiff Orphans
« on: Monday 06 June 05 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find two missing cousins born in Cardiff, not sure when but probably during or before WWII.

They were two boys, sons of Clifford Morgan and Evely Maddocks. The mother committed suicide and the father wanted nothing to do with them, so they ended up in Dr. Barnado's in Cardiff. The elder son was potentially called Christopher Morgan, but I have no proof of this assertion.

Their uncle, Raymond Maddocks (the only brother of mother Evelyn Maddocks - also of Cardiff), spent most of the war in a Japanese prison of war camp, and after surviving and getting back to Wales, he tried to adopt the brothers, but was not allowed to. Since then all trace of the two brothers is lost.

I would like to try to find my cousins, but this is more than a little difficult from Switzerland, and I have been given to understand that UK government rules protect the identity of orphans and make it very difficult to get any information.

If anyone knows the best way to approach this, I would be grateful for a response.

Thanks,
Adrian

Offline cardiff Irish

• RootsChat Member
  • Fuair mé nuair nach maibh mé ag cúrdach
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Cardiff Orphans
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 June 05 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am for most of the year a member of the Glam mailing list which includes many experienced genealogists including the Cardiff area.If you wish I can ask the list your same questions......... I am sure I could get you more info. whether we can find them is another thing.You can be assured of a detailed response. CI, Co Cork.

Offline Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 August 05 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Adrian,
I would go ahead and contact Dr Barnado's, they can only say no. Dr Barnado's was one of many groups involved with the child migration scheme. Children were sent to Australia (Western), Canada, S. Africa. Only way to find that out is to contact them.

It is a rather political situation, but if you are lucky enough to find your cousins were part of this scheme, there are many organizations out there that will help you locate them.

Another avenue to try is the Salvation Army. I'm not sure what capacity they can help, but have reunited families.
Good luck, and hope you find them
Jane
Pembrokeshire St.Dogmaels names "Davies", "Jones" William (s)  and Rees, these families moved to Cardiff, Glamorgan.
Yorkshire, surname "Burniston"
Devon, Somerset and Cardiff Glamorgan surname "Wide"

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 August 05 11:06 BST (UK) »
You might have your work cut out as the name is not uncommon.
I did a search on www.b4u.co.uk which is free and you are able to check on a slightly out of date electoral roll. This gives 24 Christopher Morgan's in the Cardiff area alone. There are also 81 C.Morgan's in the Cardiff telephone directory.
good luck with your quest
peterej
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline apd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 October 05 16:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for the assistance. I will try them out soonest.

Adrian